RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Setting up client backups

WHS_Refugee

I'm a newbie on 2012 R2, working on trying to migrate data from my WHS (not WHS 2011) server.  How do I initially set up client backup space on the server?  Do I first need to create a share specifically for client backups?  Thanks.

Okay, it created it on the C: drive.  I'll need to move it, since Health Monitoring tells me that one or more server folders (okay, all of them) are on the system drive.  I have the 250Gb drive that came with the box (HP N54L), plus three WD Red drives (two 2TB, and one 3TB).  I set up a storage pool across the three drives, and so far just one 600Gb thin, mirrored virtual disk for pictures.  I'm thinking about blowing the virtual disk away and using the entire two 2TB as one big mirrored drive for pictures, music, videos (move the server folders from C:), and the 3TB as a separate drive for client backups and other stuff.  I also have a 2TB USB external (not yet connected) that I'll move from the old WHS, once I've migrated the user data.  It will probably house server backup and other things.

I haven't put any data on the HP yet, so I'm mulling over what to do with drives, pools, etc.

Right click the folder and select "move".  Server backup requires a dedicated drive.

My client backups should total 1TB or less, and they will go on the internal drives.  I have a LaCie external USB drive that died (hard disk won't spin up), and I'm planning on putting a new drive in it, and using that as a dedicated drive for the server backup.

I'm still trying to figure out my storage - I have a little over 2TB in user files on the WHS, and the pictures are the only things on which I really want redundancy (a mirrored drive).  The pictures total about 200Gb, plus I have some on one of my desktops, that are backed up on the WHS.

Drumrollllll, this is where I post my standard "off site backup is critical, perhaps the most important backup of all" statement. Only you can determine what constitutes enough backup for you, but I urge you to consider long and hard about a 3-2-1 backup strategy (at least 3 copies of everything, on at least 2 different kinds of media, with at least 1 copy stored off site).

The way I most often describe it is, consider how you would feel (or, even more important, how your wife or partner would feel) if all your data went away... poof! This could be from theft, fire, flood, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, vandalism, lightning strike, equipment failure, or just plain fat-fingered-ness. The point is, if the data is important, you need to have a plan to recover it in the face of disaster.

BTW, RAID, whether RAID-1 or RAID-5 is not a form of backup, or redundancy; it's a form of resiliency. It's designed to help keep a system up and running in the face of partial system failure. If you can't easily remove the copy of the data from the computer, and transport it somewhere else, it isn't a backup.

I know, I haven't done it before, but I need to look into offsite backup.  What does anybody suggest for a vendor?  I've heard of Carbonite (but not in awhile), and I've also heard of Crashplan.  I would anticipate backing up that much beside pictures and some other user files.  Also, what do I have to do to send files out, as far as server and router configuration?

Edited by WHS_Refugee