RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Disabling Password Aging in S2012R2E

Joe_Miner

I'm in S2012R2E under an Admiistrator Account and wanted to change Password Aging so I went to:

Administrative Tools

Local Security Policy

Expanded Account Policies

Clicked Password Policy

Opened Maximum Password age policy

and here the number (180) is grayed out -- I want to make it (0) but I cannot -- under my Administrator Account I thought I was God but Essentials R2 apparently doesn't think so -- is there a secret handshake I missed somewhere?

While I'm at it -- I'd like to set autologon but in Netplwiz there is no box to uncheck to enable autologon for my account

Joe_Miner

OK, I knew this would happen -- I can see it in Local Security Policy but I have to change it in Group Policy Management (duh)

Group Policy Management => Forest:svrname => Domains => svrname.local select "default Domain Policy" then right click and select "Edit" and GPM Editor opens ===> Group Policy Management Editor Computer Configuration => Policies => Windows Settings => Security Settings => Account Policies => Password Policy => {BINGO, I've arrived}

After all this work I feel like I should be changing something else while I'm at it :)

Joe_Miner

Well, it seemed like a good idea ...............................  :)

jmwills

Seriously, that should be the only one you need to worry about other than complexity.

"the force is strong with this one"

JW, does WSE2012r2 come with that GP emulation/testing environment that allows you to see the effects of a policy change before deployment? It used to be a 3rd party product but was bought by MS and incorporated into MDOP. I think it's now part of System Center or something.

Yeah, it isn't really for me (I'm not currently running a Domain), but I wanted to let others know that there is a tool that lets you preview what the effect of a GP will be. I just can't remember what it's called.

Joe_Miner

Ok, for my latest project I'm trying to keep this thing going to a lock screen every 20 minutes and have to enter in the @*#&$! PW again.  Apparently I've been away from Essentials for so long I forgot how I did this stuff -- I may have to read a book :)