RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

NETGEAR 24 Port Gigabit Business-Class Rackmount Switch - Lifetime Warranty (JGS524) $145 after rebate

schoondoggy

Anyone have any thoughts on this unit? The reviews seem good. The price makes sense. I'm in the process of a big home reno and will be running cable to all the rooms, so I will need a bigger switch.

Remember, you don't HAVE to wire every jack to the switch directly. Install a Patch Panel and wire all the jacks to it. Then, you only have to cross-patch the jacks you're actually using to the switch. That's how pretty much every business does it.

In the end you will wish you had installed a patch panel. That Netgear has PoE as well. Good Price if you want an unmanaged switch but was "out of stock" when I looked.

In the end you will wish you had installed a patch panel. That Netgear has PoE as well. Good Price if you want an unmanaged switch but was "out of stock" when I looked.

I do have a patch panel, but I don't want to be in the bedroom on the other side of the house plug into the network to transfer files and then oops I have to walk down to the basement like some lowly peasant. It's just not my style. In my opinion, if there is a plug on the wall, it should work.

You can certainly get away with that at home. In a business, it would be a security risk to have open jacks cross-patched to a switch.

I have this switch, or one very similar anyway, in the 16 port model and it has been rock solid for 3 years so far. I'd recommend them.

I have this switch, or one very similar anyway, in the 16 port model and it has been rock solid for 3 years so far. I'd recommend them.

Thanks for the review, I purchased it this morning.