RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New MB with WHS 2011 driver issue w/ pci simple communications controller, what is it? and Where can I get a Driver for new build?

javaman

The pci simple communications controller Driver is not loading, on my asrock Z97 Extreme6 Mother board running the newly installed WHS2011. I contacted ASrock support, but they said: "Motherboard does not have  driver nor support for any OS server"

I suspect if I could figure out what .inf file the driver it is in for a win 7 or win 8 64 bit operating system I could edit it like the Joe_Miner solution. I had 5 or so other drivers that were not loading I was able to get them loaded one way or another.

I am not even sure what the pci simple communications controller is, but I suspect it may have to do with the audio, as the speaker connected to the MB is not working, and the OS says the system has no speaker.  If that is all that is broken, it is no biggie

The Hardware ID's for this device are: 

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA&SUBSYS_8CBA1849&REV_00
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA&SUBSYS_8CBA1849
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA&CC_0780

It's location is: PCI bus 0, device 22, function 0 

- I know 8086 = Intel

Edited by javaman

Correction, I had to enable the bootup beep in UEFI, and now the sound works - not the driver, the sound.

Looking at futher details of this Hardware IDPCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8CBA&SUBSYS_8CBA1849&REV_00

I found the Device Name DEV_8CBA = LynxPoint-LP HECI #0 - 8CBA

Looking further I found an article on LynxPoint at: http://apcmag.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-haswell-lynx-point-chipset.htm

Some info from the site:

The Haswell CPU platform will be accompanied by a new Series-8 chipset otherwise known as the platform controller hub (PCH) codenamed Lynx Point. This will initially include the Z87 and H87 parts aimed at enthusiasts and mainstream system builds respectively followed by a budget H81 chipset to replace the old H61 model later in 2013. Enterprise users will gain access to the Q87 Q85 and B85 chipsets replacing the Q77 Q75 and B75 Ivy Bridge components.

While there was plenty of talk about Haswell its new features and changes at the Beijing IDF conference in April we couldn’t find any specific presentations covering the chipset. Whether this was because Intel didn’t want to talk specifics or as a result of the discovery of a problem with Lynx Point’s USB 3.0 power cycling is unclear.

The USB 3.0 bug

What’s clear is that a problem exists. APC received confirmation from Intel of the bug in early April. Essentially all initial Lynx Point chipsets have a problem when the USB 3.0 ports are put into an S3 sleep state while attached to certain USB flash drives. The drive enumeration is lost and the drive disappears when the system is brought back from the S3 state. Still Intel claims there’s no possible loss of data or corruption.

Anyway not sure what this all means. I am going to test USB 3 speeds, but so far I can see no issues with my system so I will go forward and not worry about this too much for now. That is the risk I took going with a new MB and new 4th Gen CPU. 

What it sounds like is, if you allow your server to go into S3 Sleep and have a USB flash drive that belongs to a "certain" group of flash drives, it may not remember that drive when it wakes up, making it look as though the drive is missing.

If you don't let your server go into S3 Sleep, or don't leave one of these particular USB flash drives connected, it seems you're good to go.

It really seems like a niche problem. Mind you, they haven't specified which USB flash drives are affected. It could be most of the really common ones people use all the time.

Did you get the Win 7 driver?  That should work.

I'm not sure what driver I need. I pointed to the driver folder on the utility disk that came with the MB and tried to update it that way as it would search all files below the driver one. That technique worked for some other devices, but not this one. I may need to hack an .inf file, I'm not sure which one.

And Ikon it may just be a niche problem that will never effect me, but regrettably I'm a perfectionist. 

Edited by javaman

Don't worry I'm only a perfectionist when it comes to my home projects. For people and life I go with the flow.

Actually I think I found the solution on an Asrock forum.  Basically what it comes down to is I need to install the Intel® Management Engine software. I will give it a go tonight.