RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Guest techyguyni

usb access in hyper-v

Guest techyguyni

Hi Guys

I am trying to connect my usb dongle to my server and have my windows 7 client detect and use it as if it was attached to a windows 7 physical machine.

The dongle is not a hard drive, it is a fun cube dongle pro+.....for them who don't know what that is, here is a link www.funcubedongle.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

jmwills

Does the device show as a physical hard drive when attached to the server?  If so, take it offline in disk management and attach it to the VM while the VM is shut down.

You can then share the new volume out and map to it in a number of ways.

GavinCampbell

Check out LogMeIn Remote USB.  Its free and will allow you to attach a USB device to a VM.  I use to use it and it worked perfectly.  However they haven't updated it to work properly on Server 2012 R2 or Windows 8.1.  If you don't have any of those it may work for you.

https://secure.logmein.com/labs/

Guest techyguyni

no the device is not a hard drive, so it wont appear as one within server vm jmwills

timekills

http://www.usb-over-network.com/

I use it to connect USB devices to my Hyper-V VMs. I started using it when I needed to create the WHS USB boot drive, but since then have found it works very well for everything. Plug the USB device into my laptop, and voila - connected to the VM. Plug it into the hyper-visor (server) if you want, and it will work the same way. I just prefer running the server side of the software on my PC so I don't have to walk over to the physical server when I'm remoting in.

ikon

Just for completeness, be aware that USB Over Network isn't cheap: it starts at $149US.

Guest techyguyni

great I will give it a go over the weekend thanks for your help timekills

BacksBen

I used Flexihub for such purposes. It is very convenient that they can remotely enable and disable media that is located on the server, which is sometimes a very beneficial action.

Trig0r

Really don't get why MS haven't got decent hardware passthru yet...