RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
demiurg

Graphiccard on G8?

Saburr

My Sapphire R7 240 2GB card (11216-07-20G) works perfect. Two HDMI.

RayEarth2162

Has anyone tried Galaxy GTX750Ti on G8? It's LP but the heat sink does stick out a bit.

I'm thinking of getting one so that I have some gaming capability but not sure if the heatsink sticks out too much. It looks like it will block out the internal USB port, but that's not so much an issue for me.

46550ff4-746b-4dfb-a650-1b6d75632629.jpg

http://www.galaxytech.com/__EN_GB__/Product2/ProductDetail?proID=517

Relatively cheap at about AUD$180

PassMark of 3687 (compared to 957 for R7 240)

Edited by RayEarth2162

rocketeer

i have buy a R7 240 passive i will test it soon. this one

51TQIto9ZrL.jpg

Hi Wndows,

Have you tried the XFX video card in your Gen8?

BR,

Jack

RayEarth2162

Hi all

Confirm that Galaxy GTX 750 Ti works almighty fine on Gen8. You need to trim off the heatsink a little bit so that the power plug fits, but running for a week now, including intensive gaming for a number of days, and no noticeable increase in temperature etc. 

TDW for the card is 60W, and I'm using it with i3-3250T.

This combination makes the Gen8 a multi-task machine that can do some moderate gaming. 

See photos below. G3D mark of 3687 http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+750+Ti

(In comparison R7 240 has a G3D mark of 956)

P8160098

P8160099

P8160100

Edited by RayEarth2162
  • Like 1

stix01

Hi all

Confirm that Galaxy GTX 750 Ti works almighty fine on Gen8. You need to trim off the heatsink a little bit so that the power plug fits, but running for a week now, including intensive gaming for a number of days, and no noticeable increase in temperature etc. 

TDW for the card is 60W, and I'm using it with i3-3250T.

This combination makes the Gen8 a multi-task machine that can do some moderate gaming. 

See photos below. G3D mark of 3687 http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+750+Ti

(In comparison R7 240 has a G3D mark of 956)

I have to say. To me this is the first thing in ages that makes me think of re-purposing my g8. Great post.

Saburr

The Galaxy GTX 750 Ti looks great. I hope, there build a version with 2 HDMI ports.

manatails

I can confirm that Radeon R7 250X also works perfectly with my gen8.

I bought a japanese brand 250XE from Kurouto Shikou which is Low profile and designed for 1-slot use.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/玄人志向-ビデオカード-RD-R7-250XE-LE1GB-D5-1ST/dp/B00MUEWE76/

FullSizeRender.jpg

Fits perfectly without any trimming etc.

Also confirmed PCI passthrough working with ESXi 6.0

gordan

If you need GPU passthrough on ESXi you are stuck with ATI, because Nvidia driver will refuse to initialize a "non-approved" (read: anything except the expensive Quadro (not including NVS models), Tesla or Grid models) GPU if it detects it is running in a VM. The methods the driver uses to detect it is running in a VM have been neutered in KVM and Xen, but not in ESXi. You may be able to doctor an Nvidia card to make it report it has the PCI device ID of a similar Quadro, but I cannot think of any easily modifiable Nvidia cards that are also low profile.

As far as ATI/AMD cards go, if you want it passively cooled, a HD6450/HD7450 will do the trick. It is by no means a screamer, but it should provide an adequate experience for 1080p video playback and the occassional blast through L4D2.

If you switch to KVM instead of ESXi, something like a passively cooled Zotac GT 630 4GB card works very well.

dub_master77

Hi,

I have a problem which I hope someone can help with.  I have a gen8 microserver with a cpu and memory upgrade to the usual 16Gb ram and a xeon 1265l v2 and that all seems to be fine.  The problem that I am having is that I am using a graphics card which isnt working quite as it should.

The card that I am using is a Sapphire radeon hd5450 1gb ddr3 and the OS that I am using is windows 7 x64 ultimate.

The graphics card has the latest driver installed but the blacks arent quite black when reading texts on screen and there is no sound thats being passed through the HDMI into the amp.

I have done all the usual checks to get this working and nothing has worked thus far.  The graphics card works fine in the n54l.  I am sure that I cant be the only one running this configuration.  Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

gordan

Have you tested the same HDMI cable in the other machine? Does that produce working sound?

HD5450 is quite ancient, what driver version are you using? Did you try the same OS on the N54L? AMD drivers are sufficiently crap enough of the time that I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of the driver doing something fundamentally broken. Try a different version, possibly a considerably older version, maybe?