RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
demiurg

Graphiccard on G8?

Royco

This was my experience with the HD5450. Like you said, in windows it might be better, and there are also more powerful graphics available. There is a lot of info in this forum.

Anyway, the PSU noise is a gamble. I only heard it when it was quiet (kids in bed). The high pitched sounds tend to be more annoying. First I thought it were the hard disks (it had this vibration quality), but when removed them and booted from a USB drive it was still present. It might be a faulty unbalanced fan and not present in each model.

siulman

Somebody else?

I'm surprise because on G7 there is a lot of people with dedicated graphic cards....

Normally the same cards should be compatible with this new G8...

I think I'm gonna take the risk...

What do you think guys?

mind12

Hi Royco and thank you for your answer.

Pretty bad news for me... :( did you try on windows?

Don't know what to do, I want à device with 2 sata 3.5 slots which can be used for xbmc with and hdmi port. But I found nothing....

There is microPC NUC but only one internal slot for 2.5 HD...

I thought that G8 would be the ultime device for doing everything at home...

Hi,

the temperature will raise if you add a passive graphic card to the G8 and because of that the fan will go higher. In my opinion it's a little bit noisy, it's definitely not a good choice to a bedroom. G8 could be the ultimate device for everything as a home server, you should try virtualization, it can run a small amount of virtual machines with the stock processor.

Take a look at my configuration, I use my server for the same services as you mentioned before. XBMC is working fine on a Windows 7 VM with the passtroughed (you need a VT-d capable processor, stock processors are not VT-d capable) graphic card.

siulman

Hi,

the temperature will raise if you add a passive graphic card to the G8 and because of that the fan will go higher. In my opinion it's a little bit noisy, it's definitely not a good choice to a bedroom. G8 could be the ultimate device for everything as a home server, you should try virtualization, it can run a small amount of virtual machines with the stock processor.

Take a look at my configuration, I use my server for the same services as you mentioned before. XBMC is working fine on a Windows 7 VM with the passtroughed (you need a VT-d capable processor, stock processors are not VT-d capable) graphic card.

Thank you for your answer.

Did you try with linux?

because I would like to install OpenMediavault + XBMC and I would like to chose the best graphic with compatibility drivers.

I have purchased an Asus ATI Radeon HD 5450 but I'm concerned that it was a mistake because of drivers on linux, maybe I should send it back...

mind12

Thank you for your answer.

Did you try with linux?

because I would like to install OpenMediavault + XBMC and I would like to chose the best graphic with compatibility drivers.

I have purchased an Asus ATI Radeon HD 5450 but I'm concerned that it was a mistake because of drivers on linux, maybe I should send it back...

Hi,

I haven't read any successful strories about VMware GPU passtrough with linux, if you go that way forget linux.

Build a seperate virtual machine with Win 7 and install XBMC to that.

If you don't pick the "virtualization" way and you have some experience with Linux you can handle the driver issue.

symbiosis

Hi - I have tried using my Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS.

The card installs correctly and the fan is spinning however it does not even appear in device manager, any thoughts as to why? 

tezray

I use a sapphire 5450 on whs 2011 for xbmc it works perfectly fine I use ahci also haven't checked fan speed but it's noisier than my old gen 7. I would have used a raspberry pi but I have a surround sound unit and needed bitstreaming

symbiosis

Its odd why I cant get anything out of the Nvidia Geforce 8400  

Its only 70w, so surely cant be a power issue, and it does not not even appear in device manager - let alone ask for drivers. Its almost as though the onboard PCI slot is not picking it up so I'm hoping the PCI slot is functioning correctly

symbiosis

So - what is regarded as the best HDMI GPU with audio output for the Gen8? That gives best performance with lowest increase in fan speed and heat output?