RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
demiurg

Graphiccard on G8?

ikon

There has been some discussion in the past. The one thing I recall is that the available choices are very limited, and mostly limited to lower end GPUs. There isn't much room, and the PSU can't handle a high end card. Cooling is also an issue.

LoneWolf

Have you considered the (possibly much easier) use of a Raspberry Pi for your XBMC?  Then you don't need GPU passthrough.  The Pi can boot off an SD card and run XBMC, and the newest releases are working hard on making support even better.  You can stream the video from your Gen8.

LoneWolf

http://www.raspbmc.com/2014/05/xbmc-13-gotham-is-here/

Note also, that this way, you get an HDMI port that you're sure works.  In my case, I built an HTPC just in case I needed Blu-Ray, and because the Pi wasn't available at the time due to demand --but if I had to do it again, I'd get a Raspberry Pi and run Raspbmc, even though it's probably not as slick-looking as the rig I built (it'd definitely be cheaper).

psikey

Low-profile HD6450 256-1GB RAM card. Worked fine in a N54L so can't see why the G8 can't use it. You don't need anything more powerful for video playback stuff.

I even had a HD 7750 low-profile working in an N54L which could play Left4Dead in full HD at over 30fps.

ikon

I even had a HD 7750 low-profile working in an N54L which could play Left4Dead in full HD at over 30fps.

And the best part is it made the whole computer glow in the dark -- really added to the atmosphere of the game  :lol: 

Sitnalta

Hi demiurg.

I've used 2 in my Microserver Gen8:

ATI Radeon HD 6450 HDMI

Nvidia ASUS GT610-SL-2GD3

Both cards have passive cooling

First I had a ATI Radeon HD 6450 HDMI and used it for a virtual Win8 Client in ESXi 5.1 with passthrough (In ESXi 5.5 it stopped working)

I then used the ATI Radeon HD 6450 HDMI for a Windows Server 2012, the catalyst control center software was not supported in 2012 so i had 1cm black borders on my display.

because of that I replaced the card with the Nvidia ASUS GT610-SL-2GD3 card, I'm very happy with it.

I didn't use it for ESXi so not sure that will work.

I used passthrough for the USB3.0 ports to connect mouse and keyboard to my virtual machine as well.

I believe you need a CPU with VT-d support to use passthrough, I have a Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2 cpu.

Conneckter

Hi demiurg,

i´m using a Nvidia GT320 for my second HP Microserver Gen8 and it works without a problem.

I had this graphics card left from a old PC.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 1GB DDR3 PCI Express (PCIe) DVI Low Profile Video Card w/HDMI & HDCP Support

GT320-PCIE-1024-PB-unit.jpg

• Like 1

mind12

:-) ;-) more simple: XBMC Media Center (to lift the word "home" out of "homeserver"). ;-)

Hi,

The same goal I try to achieve. ESXi passtrough the card to a VM running XBMC. I'm missing the proper CPU right now, so didn't try it. 

I found a great blog about successfull video card passtrough, check it out:

http://thehomeserverblog.com/

Royco

I'm wondering whether the additional graphics card had an influence on noice level/fan speed? I've red somewhere, for a different HP Proliant model, that the fan speed might be adjusted if a non supported PCI card is used.

LoneWolf

I'm wondering whether the additional graphics card had an influence on noice level/fan speed? I've red somewhere, for a different HP Proliant model, that the fan speed might be adjusted if a non supported PCI card is used.

Assume the card is "supported".  Increased temperatures within the case might still result in increased fan speed due to the Microserver's onboard sensors picking up a rise in temperature.