RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1270 (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz)

gto11520

I recently purchased a Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1270 (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz) version 1. It requires a 1155 motherboard.

I was wondering what is a good motherboard for this this type of chip. The system will be used for daily purposes at a small business which requires backup and reliability.

I also will like to know what type ecc memory will be best suitable for the recommend motherboard. thanks

Do you have a case for it? Do you want ATX or microATX?

What are you going to run on it? OS? Number of drives?

Sorry for the number of question, just tying to narrow things down.

Thanks for your quick response

Do you have a case for it? Do you want ATX or microATX?

What are you going to run on it? OS? Number of drives?

Sorry for the number of question, just tying to narrow things down.

i have a standard case that will take both atx and microATX board. I have 4 drives western digital sata which I will configure to raid 10.

The os will be running microsoft server 2012.

Would it make a difference between getting a standard atx vs microATX?  because my budget for the board is only upto 175 us dollar max including tax. I prefer the board to take both unbuffered ecc ram and buffered ecc ram. From what i heard many 1155 socket board have issues with ram compability.

That really depends on the chipset used for the board, IIRC.

Have you looked at SuperMicro boards? Good workstation and server boards.

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#1155

Naming reference: http://www.supermicro.com/products/Product_Naming_Convention/Naming_MBD_Intel_UP.cfm

yes i have i was thinking of getting the

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCA-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C204 ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard

or the

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C202 Micro ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard

but i cant really decide between the two. one is micro the other is atx so i dont know.

the only thing i do worry about is the unbuffered ecc memory Considering that both motherboards are really nitpicky of the type of  memory it takes

can it take the list below?

Kingston KVR16E11/4 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 ECC Unbuffered server memory

can it take cheaper memory from other system like

PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 ECC Unbuffered for HP Proliant DL380 G7

Well, they use slightly different chipsets, so it may be worth looking at the different features/support.

But things that jump out:

• PCI Express Slots. the ATX has a 2.0 16x + 2 x4 slots (in x8 "holder"), and 3 PCI slots. 
    The uATX (microATX) has 2 2.0x8 slots, and an x4 slot.  and no PCI slots
    This is important later on for expansion, if needed.
  • the ATX board has SATAIII (6gpbs) ports, were the uATX doesn't

Aside from that, they look almost identical.

As for the RAM.... no idea. There is a very short list of supported modules.... But it's mostly Hynix, Micron, and Samsung.... and a couple of Kingston. But I'm not sure. 

ANd honestly, I'm using an X10SAT board, and using non-ECC.... G.SKILL Ares modules, actually. I ran a 2x memory test using the Windows memory diagnostics before "settling in" with the hardware. And that may be the best coarse of action. Assume you'll need to get new RAM, but test what you have in  the system once you have it.

And the support pages for the boards do have a "tested memory" list. Worth at least looking at.

Ditto re the supramicro boards. I am in love with mine after having ASUS for 15 years.

I always find I never buy a MB with enough SATA III ports.

• Like 1

SuperMicro have always been top notch boards, if a bit on the higher priced end. Gigabyte boards have proven quite reliable for me. I've become less of a fan of Asus over the years.

Well, they use slightly different chipsets, so it may be worth looking at the different features/support.

But things that jump out:

• PCI Express Slots. the ATX has a 2.0 16x + 2 x4 slots (in x8 "holder"), and 3 PCI slots. 

The uATX (microATX) has 2 2.0x8 slots, and an x4 slot.  and no PCI slots

This is important later on for expansion, if needed.

• the ATX board has SATAIII (6gpbs) ports, were the uATX doesn't

Aside from that, they look almost identical.

As for the RAM.... no idea. There is a very short list of supported modules.... But it's mostly Hynix, Micron, and Samsung.... and a couple of Kingston. But I'm not sure. 

ANd honestly, I'm using an X10SAT board, and using non-ECC.... G.SKILL Ares modules, actually. I ran a 2x memory test using the Windows memory diagnostics before "settling in" with the hardware. And that may be the best coarse of action. Assume you'll need to get new RAM, but test what you have in  the system once you have it.

And the support pages for the boards do have a "tested memory" list. Worth at least looking at.

Thanks for your quick reply very interesting suggestion in regard to non-ecc memory. Does having non-ecc memory is less reliable than ecc memory?

I will keep my option open. Any ideas of a board that is less 200 bucks with decent build raid controller?

Look at the specs of the supermicro boards carefully. Many will not take non-ecc.

I advise one with IPMI. Its brilliant.

• Like 1