RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

maximum internal SATA storage capacity

tokar86a

Just a suggestion: you might want to specify exactly which model you have when posting.

As far as the maximum storage goes, I thought it's possible to use 3 and 4 TB drives, so the max would be 12 or 16 TB.

Is the 12/16TB limit not down to availible disk sizes at the time of documentation, given we'll be looking at 6tb> by the end of the year I would expect that to change...

Just a suggestion: you might want to specify exactly which model you have when posting.

As far as the maximum storage goes, I thought it's possible to use 3 and 4 TB drives, so the max would be 12 or 16 TB.

Have you not read what i write?

I have N54L like you can find in the document.

So is this 8.0TB (4 x 2TB 3.5" SATA drives) that hope say the limit?

Hi Tokar86a and welcome to the Forums.  When you get a chance be sure to introduce yourself. 

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/344-welcome-to-homeservershowcom-forums-introduce-yourself-here/

Ikon’s suggestion is a good one – whenever anyone references any of the HP quickspecs I also don’t know for sure if they are actually talking about the N36L, N40L, or the N54L and I’ve known people to reference the Gen7 quickspecs when they ment to reference the Gen8’s.  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7393-forum-jargon-and-etiquette/

Regarding your question about the N54L………..

HP’s Quickspec is not accurate -- I am running WHS2011 in my N54L with 5 4TB WD Reds (i.e. a total of 20TB in the MicroServer N54L) for data and a Crucial M4 256GB SSD for my OS drive. I’ve attached a Sans Digital (the Sans Digital is rated to hold up to 4x4TB drives but I've only put 3TB drives in it so far -- there's a blog posting on this from the last meetup if you're interested) to my eSATA port with Port Multiplier enabled (see my Sig line below)

Check out the pinned Link’s threads in the MicroServer Forum (and it's subForum(s)) for information about drives, mods, etc on the MicroServer.

Also tokar86a, it's quicker for people if they don't have to read through a lengthy article to find the info they need. For instance, Joe_Miner knows 100% that a N54L can handle HDDs over 2TB. If you had stated right off the bat that you're using an N54L, he could have responded immediately. Forcing him, or anyone, to read the document is a waste of time. BTW, that was my point from the beginning.

Also tokar86a, it's quicker for people if they don't have to read through a lengthy article to find the info they need. For instance, Joe_Miner knows 100% that a N54L can handle HDDs over 2TB. If you had stated right off the bat that you're using an N54L, he could have responded immediately. Forcing him, or anyone, to read the document is a waste of time. BTW, that was my point from the beginning.

But if he had open my link he should notes that i was asking about the N54L

Yes i know it can handle HDD over 2TB but when i talk to HP about this they say that when you come over 8 TB it dont work it is something whit the sata conection that limit it.

You're missing the point. Joe_Miner should NOT have to open the link. Why make it so hard to give you an answer? You're the one who wants information. JM knows the info. Why not make it as easy as possible for him? If you're going to try to force people to open links to find out basic information, many are just going to ignore your posts.

And JM has already given you the answer about "over 8TB" --> he's running 20TB. Obviously, despite what HP says, it works.