RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

$99 Xbox

awraynor

Over on Engadget I see that the Xbox Arcade is doing to be $99 through the 20th. This is $149 with a $50 gift card, which can only be used at walmart.com or samsclub.com. I was thinking of using one for a media center extender? Will the limited memory be an issue, or is it easy to add a hard drive to it?

I don't think it would be an issue at all. I have one with a small hard drive and one with a large (250 GB) hard drive. I have never saved anything to either one.

Guest no-control

Seems like they are flushing out stock to make way for the new XBOX360 slim that is coming out later this year.

Anyway adding the proprietary HDD is easy. Or are you asking about external HDD access?

The New Xbox360 shipped Monday and it is suppose to be at Retailers by end of the week, according to the MS keynote @ E3 on Monday. I recorded the live broadcast on Spike TV with my Media Center and watched it on my Zune this AM :)

I do not recall any discussion of a new Arcade Model so are they going to sell out of them and only leave the new $300 model as the only option for consumers? I would like to pick up an Arcade to just use as a Media Center and slap a flash drive in it for Save Data for the Kids.

It would be as a media center extender only, I have no interest in gaming. I am transitioning to the

new dual boot desktop I recently built. I thought about reusing my old HP Media PC, but the XBox as an

instant on device is attractive. It is smaller, instant on, maybe quieter?, but the PC has a lot more

functionality. I would stream from the WHS, without the need to save anything locally.

It would be as a media center extender only, I have no interest in gaming. I am transitioning to the

new dual boot desktop I recently built. I thought about reusing my old HP Media PC, but the XBox as an

instant on device is attractive. It is smaller, instant on, maybe quieter?, but the PC has a lot more

functionality. I would stream from the WHS, without the need to save anything locally.

This opens up a whole discussion. I agree with no-control as the xbox is obnoxiously loud compared to a nicely setup HTPC. In addition, it does not offer you near the flexibility in media playback. I would seriously reconsider that choice and go with a low cost HTPC such as the Revo or other atom/core i3 based system.

I think the use of the 360 really is dependent on the needs you have. If you use WMC and want to use an extender the xBox is hard to beat. If you have kids that use the gaming aspect of the 360 you get both in one capable device. Hard to beat. Is it perfect? NO. But it's pretty solid. The new slim xBox has been redesigned and the sound from the fans is "whisper quiet". This alone has me considering a purchase because the legacy 360's can be noisy. I am more excited about the Kinect addon coming in November. Coolest thing in gaming.

I still don't feel that my TV viewing experience using content from my server and Recorded and live TV is satisfactory for me.

I started with a popcorn hour A-100 for my server content. It is not a WAF device and the graphic UI is just Blah. But it does play everything. It is silent.

Then I purchased a 360 arcade, no hard drive. It's the device with the best UI, but it's noisy enough and doesn't play all my content and the PC must be left on. Unacceptable.

Last week I purchased the WD Live Plus, silent, connects to the network to grab all my content, including online stuff, the UI is better than the popcorn hour but not as good as the 360.

I also got my hands on a MediaSmart Connect X280, this device is giving me my 360 experience but the UI is slower, it also has the HP UI so that's an extra option. It's silent, built in wireless is a bonus.

My next step would be a Windows Embedded Standard 7 MCE device or a XBMC HTPC. But now the costs are going up.