RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Does Intel recognize integrated NIC on WHS2011 - This guy wrote a custom driver

javaman

Has anybody ever used this custom driver?

I pulled this text from here: http://assassinhtpcblog.com/server-whs-2011/#guide005 

If you bought a motherboard with the excellent Intel NIC integrated into the board hoping to use it for your server’s LAN you are going to be disappointed to hear that Intel does not recognize nor provide any drivers for the Integrated Intel NIC for WHS 2011. Fortunately I have figured out a way to install them anyway.

Assassin’s Custom Intel Integrated NIC Driver: Download here

WHS would not recognize an Intel NIC?  Odd.  Did you try the Server 2008 or Win7 x64 versions?

That's a pretty good site until he started adding the server to a Homegroup.  Are you serious?

I have not. What Intel chip does your motherboard have? In the example on the Assassin web site the board has a 82579V. Intel offers drivers for Win Server 2008 R2 which tends to work for WHS 2011. Have you tried the Intel drivers?

This is my MB the ASRock Z97. I have not event built the server yet (plan to this weekend), just anticipating issues, as I heard there could be issues. The MB has two ports:

1 x Intel® I218V (Gigabit LAN PHY 10/100/1000 Mb/s)
1 x Realtek RTL8111GR (PCIE x1 Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000
Mb/s)

It's unlikely WHS2011 would recognize the Realtek NIC, but I would be somewhat surprised if it didn't recognize the Intel.

I'm not sure about using someone I don't know custom driver but I do know from past experience with the Intel 82579V that they code the .inf file to block Server OS install on what they market as desktop chips but at least with the 82579V there's a workaround http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4025-intel-82579v-nic-on-ga-z77x-ud5h-and-other-motherboards-with-server-oss/

• Like 1

If all Assassin did was follow my instructions outlined in the link above to modify the .inf file it will only work, I believe, on the 82579V but if your drver pack for your I218V has a similar .inf file you should/might be able to "hack" it as outlined in the link.  YMMV.

I believe the 82579V and the i218V are part of the same family, so the instructions above should work fine.

I wasn't sure -- I thought I recalled a check in the .inf for the specific 82579V but even if that's the case it might work by jumpering out that code.

If all Assassin did was follow my instructions outlined in the link above to modify the .inf file it will only work, I believe, on the 82579V but if your drver pack for your I218V has a similar .inf file you should/might be able to "hack" it as outlined in the link.  YMMV.

Thanks, I will see if I run into any problems, and if so I will try your "hack".