RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Think I have got a better handle on the WHS2011 2TB limit - My backup plan

javaman

Hi so, I think I have got a better handle on the WHS2011 backup 2TB limit, so here is my basic plan.

1) Will place one 2TB OS backup drive in my server - This drive will only be used to backup the OS's of the 4 PC's in my house. I understand with any disk over this size the extra space would be ignored. I suspect that the 4 OS's would be less than a few hundred GB, but I might as well get the max. I will consider mirroring this drive as well. Can I back up the WHS2011 OS to this Disk as well?

2) WHS2011 will run on a 240GB SSD. I Will add 4 x 4TB drives to the server and I will have them duplicated with Stablebit Drivepool. - These drives will store all my data from my PC's.   I will place with data there with Robocopy, or something similar,  from my PC's. This will include such things as Pictures, Music and My Documents. So I will have a copy on the PC's plus on the server. I will also try to place Recorded TV from my WMC HTPC in the drive pool as well. In addition I will place bunch of Ripped Movies that will not be located on my PC

3) Finally I will backup my critical data plus as many movies etc to an external 5TB drive that I will take off site, probably backing up to it once or twice a month. I will probably take my chances with Recorded TV and be satisfied with it only being duplicated in the pool 

Sound good?

^^ What he said about the server OS backup.

As far as the backup strategy goes, it's up to you if it's good or not. It has to provide you with peace of mind. The only thing I suggest to people is that they play a little mental game of "how would I feel, and what would I do, if all my data went away tomorrow?". From that, decide how much, and what kind of backup you need.

The server backup has to be on a dedicated drive.

Yes I got that, the 2TB drive listed in step 1 will be a dedicated drive only used for the OS backups.

^^ What he said about the server OS backup.

As far as the backup strategy goes, it's up to you if it's good or not. It has to provide you with peace of mind. The only thing I suggest to people is that they play a little mental game of "how would I feel, and what would I do, if all my data went away tomorrow?". From that, decide how much, and what kind of backup you need.

Yes, I am comfortable with this. If I ever feel I have significant new critical data I will make sure I get it on the offsite backup.

One thing many seem to be comfortable with is cloud backups. I am NOT comfortable with them as I think  they are easy game for hackers. They hacked target and ebay which have very significant security. 

Your post sounds like you intend to use the same drive to backup the client and server OS's, To clarify, you can't do that.

Your post sounds like you intend to use the same drive to backup the client and server OS's, To clarify, you can't do that.

Right Dang, so I need an additional drive to backup the server OS, because the client OS's need their own dedicated drive?  

I do have an extra external USB 1TB drive, I guess I could use that for the server backup.

The WHS2011 is small. You don't need a large drive. I'm using a 120GB HDD, so a 1TB drive would be more than plenty.