RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

TrueCrypt is apparently not secure

Drashna Jaelre

http://lifehacker.com/truecrypts-web-site-updates-with-ominous-warning-detai-1582879439

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/05/truecrypt-is-not-secure-official-sourceforge-page-abruptly-warns/

And they indicate that you should jump ship immediately.

And seems to officially stop support for Windows:

The development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014 after Microsoft terminated support of Windows XP. Windows 8/7/Vista and later offer integrated support for encrypted disks and virtual disk images. Such integrated support is also available on other platforms (click herefor more information). You should migrate any data encrypted by TrueCrypt to encrypted disks or virtual disk images supported on your platform.

I agree with some of the comments: something is up. There are too many weirdnesses about the announcement, and the new, oddball 7.2 version of TC, that beg closer inspection. While I'm not currently using TC, I have in the past and, if I still was, I would take a wait-and-see attitude on this one, to see how things shake out.

I've also used TC. To store encrypted containers on thumb drives. What is a recommended alternative?

I've also used TC. To store encrypted containers on thumb drives. What is a recommended alternative?

Bitlocker.

Be interested in seeing a good tutorial on how to do this. Any links? I use a thumb drive across multiple machines. TC was cross platform even.

Thanks. Am trying this on one of my Roadwarrior USB thumb drives. So far seems to work OK.

To be honest, I've always found BitLocker to be a much better experience. It's smoother, integrated into Windows to the point that it's steamless, and it "just works".

To be honest, I've always found BitLocker to be a much better experience. It's smoother, integrated into Windows to the point that it's steamless, and it "just works".

... And it probably has a backdoor. :-)

... And it probably has a backdoor. :-)

Yeah, maybe. But TrueCrypt probably does too. :)

I mean, have you gone over every line of code to verify that it doesn't? If not, then how do you know? 

And how do you know that the guys that make truecrypt don't have tools to quickly break into the systems that they sell to gov't agencies.

Also, speaking of ENCRYPTION.... given that it easier and easier to do the number crunching for this stuff.... it would take days.... if not hours to break the encryption on a good, dedicated system.  Encryption is only really good for preventing a thief from breaking into the system. Not from protecting your content from gov't agencies.