RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Southern California Enthusiast

rcurry71

Hello everyone. I am new to the whole concept of a home server. Is there anyone in the Southern California area (I live in Riverside) that would be willing to speak with me and perhaps give me a consultation. If so, send me a private message and I will provide you with my phone number. I would want someone that not only understands Home Servers, but also networking. I have an Xbox 360 and would want to connect to that as well. Another plus would be someone who has experience in backing up off-site/online.

I do not know if I should build yet or purchase, primarily because i do not know what the pros and cons are yet. I assume building one would give greater flexibility, but I have gained the impression that HP has made the set up and maintenance extra easy.

Thanks!

Did not want to disappoint. Had a good conversation earlier. Hopefully we have a new member and convert to WHS.

I just returned home (via some heavy L.A. traffic... yes at 9:30PM) with an HP EX490. I'm in! I bought 2 extra HDD and will set it up tomorrow hopefully.

Guest no-control

I live in Eastvale(norco/ontario) if you need help let me, Doc, or Tim know. Glad to see you're not wasting any time getting set up :)

Sent you a PM

Thanks to both of you guys!

I set it up last night (early morning actually LOL). I have backed up my laptop and my data drive on my desktop so far.

I had problems backing up my OS drive on the desktop for some reason. I tried a couple times to no avail. I will look more into it later today hopefully.

I have a critical status message. It says I need to reinstall HP Media Collector. I will also look into that later today.

One last issue. It says that McAfee Total Protection Service is ready to install. Do I have to use McAfee? What about Windows security essentials i have heard good stuff about (I currently use Kaspersky on my PCs)? I want protection, but I have always disliked the bloated and slower anti-everything solutions that are out their (McAfee, Norton, etc.). Any thoughts?

Guest no-control

McAfee blows IMO. I wouldn't use it. MSE doesn't work on WHS. Your options are Avast! or ClamAV, there may be another but i don't recall. I personally do not run AV on my servers. The clients all have AV on them so it shouldn't be able to get on my server. I use MSE on all of my clients though.

I just returned home (via some heavy L.A. traffic... yes at 9:30PM) with an HP EX490. I'm in! I bought 2 extra HDD and will set it up tomorrow hopefully.

Welcome to the fold!

Thanks to both of you guys!

I set it up last night (early morning actually LOL). I have backed up my laptop and my data drive on my desktop so far.

I had problems backing up my OS drive on the desktop for some reason. I tried a couple times to no avail. I will look more into it later today hopefully.

I have a critical status message. It says I need to reinstall HP Media Collector. I will also look into that later today.

One last issue. It says that McAfee Total Protection Service is ready to install. Do I have to use McAfee? What about Windows security essentials i have heard good stuff about (I currently use Kaspersky on my PCs)? I want protection, but I have always disliked the bloated and slower anti-everything solutions that are out their (McAfee, Norton, etc.). Any thoughts?

If you want to get rid of the McAfee Total Protection Service is ready to install message, simply go to the Software\add-in folder on the server and locate the TopWHSaddin file and move it out of the add-in folder. Then, WHS won't tell you it is ready to install.