RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgrading EX-485 with Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2

Silvio

An out of town drip? :wacko:

Yes on the x64 only and just recently, within the month was 2012 R2 support added for SP2013.  2012 is good to go.

Jmwills, the plan is SharePoint 2010.

Diehard, by AD you mean Active Directory? If so, my server at work is running Active Directory and SharePoint 2010.

Are you running SBS?  If so, then that is by design but I would never advise SP to be installed on a DC.

For about $3 per month per user, you could run SharePoint online.  I have that along with a 5 server farm at home.

Yes on the x64 only and just recently, within the month was 2012 R2 support added for SP2013.  2012 is good to go.

Are you running SBS?  If so, then that is by design but I would never advise SP to be installed on a DC.

For about $3 per month per user, you could run SharePoint online.  I have that along with a 5 server farm at home.

Ah, OK. That's it. DC (Domain Controller) not AD (Active Directory) thanks for the correction.

Yes, but you will want AD so that you can control access, not to mention DNS.

It is SBS at work, that explains it then.

SharePoint online looks good! Thanks.

I'm slowly getting convinced to buy a new server.

Essentials IS SBS for all intents.... Well, direct sucessor to SBS2011Essentials at least. :)

But yeah, SQL Server on a domain controller is a no-no, IIRC.
And 4GB of RAM... will be tight, unless you have only a couple of light users....

Also, in the words of Microsoft: "Storage Spaces is for storage, and not for databases". Aka, it doesn't do well with any database....

Drashna, so your suggestion is to pretty much leave Storage Spaces completely out of the picture and just use StableBit DrivePool? I’ve been reading about Storage Spaces and it looks pretty good to me, but everyone here seems to favor StableBit DrivePool.

yes, basically. That or Drive Bender. Or use "real RAID". Even if it's a lower end RocketRAID 2720SGL card. 

If you do go with StableBit DrivePool, or Drive Bender, both store the files on normal NTFS volumes, so if something happens, recovery isn't hard. Nor is migration. This is a big part of why the favor there. That, and I'm absolutely biased. But I was before I started working.... :)

Also, both StableBit DrivePool and Drive Bender do come with trial periods. You can try them and see if you like them.

Also, if you have any questions about StableBit DrivePool, please do ask away.