RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
tx.canyon

New T20 on it's way, what to run on it...

tx.canyon

I would still recommend well, anything but Storage Spaces for storage. RAID5, or a software solution (such as flex/snap raid, StableBit DrivePool, Drive Bender, etc).

Though, the higher end xeon would definitely work better. But make sure you still have VGA on the system. You may not need it often, but it may help when troubleshooting, when stuff does happen.

Currently testing mdraid 5 on OMV on current server. I got ventrilo working, next up is Plex.

I think Server 2012 is overkill for my needs regardless of whatever CPU I use, but I like that the remaining data is usable if drives fail. Plus it's still NTFS, not ext4 so can plug it into another windows computer

For recovery.

Drashna Jaelre

Which is why I like StableBit DrivePool. It's for windows, but everything is on normal NTFS volumes (Drive Bender is also for Windows and does the same).

ikon

schoondoggy, I've used Paragon in the past. As I recall, I thought it was pretty good. It just couldn't beat WHS SIS and easy automation.

snapper

"The plan is to replace the 750gb with 3TB drives down the road when I need the space."

Expanding storage on ZFS is a pain in the butt - most times its easier to copy everything off, change drives and start again.

This affects FreeNAS and NAS4Free.

Personally, I use Centos Linux with no GUI, just command line. 

Plenty of guides on how to set things up and I don't personally believe in using CPU cycles for a GUI thats only accessed rarely...

tx.canyon

I wanted to see how the RR2720 Raid_5 stacked up vs mdraid Raid 5. Since the Webgui wasnt working with OMV, I installed debian 6.0.9, updated to the 3.2 Backport kernel, and it litteraly took me a day to get the webgui to work, once I got  that out of the way, I installed OMV and then Ventrilo. So far so good. I will test this setup until my T20 comes in.

Performance wise, it's fairly consistent with a Raid5 via mdraid for copies across my network (90-100mb/s). I ordered a 32gb SSD to use for the OS.

tx.canyon

Well, it arrived earlier than expected. Currently setting up OpenMediaVault .5.49 using the onboard SATA ports for a FlexRaid setup using 4x 750gb WD Green hard drives. I added an older SATA300 TX4 PCI card for booting off an old 160gb 3.5" drive.

3 Drives for Data +1 Parity with aufs for pooling with it set to use folders for data placement.

I do have an Adata 32gb SSD on order, should be in next week. By that time I think I will have decided to stick with OMV or put Server 2008R2 on it (I think 2012R2 might be alot of extra stuff for the small Dual core CPU to handle).

Easily noticed issue:

kWtYhu5.png

Seriously warm temps. Hopefully they go down once the drives spin down.

ikon

Agreed, pretty warm for HDDs. Have you thought about opening the side and directing a fan at them until they spin down?

tx.canyon

I got the hard drives spinning down, and that resolved any issues I had. The flow in the case is pretty good, because when I put the side cover back on the temps actually dropped.

I am going to stick with the OMV+FLEX Raid setup, I just wish we could get some 2tb 2.5" drives (WD Red would be ideal).

schoondoggy

As you found, you only get proper air flow with the case cover on. Buy.com has 2TB 2.5" Toshiba drives for $118; http://www.rakuten.com/prod/toshiba-mq01abb-mq01abb200-2-tb-2-5-internal-hard-drive-sata-5400-rpm/258172521.html They are SATA II and 15mm, but the internal transfer rate numbers look good for a 5400 RPM drive.

Sent from my HP Slate 8 Pro using Tapatalk