RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
tx.canyon

New T20 on it's way, what to run on it...

tx.canyon

My new T20 will be here within a few weeks (dell ships to APO via parcel post, so I expect the box to take a month to get here).

My thoughts are on what I should run on it to meet my needs. I bought it with the intent of using it as a NAS/ home server. There are alot of options out there:

Linux/BSD based:

Openmediavault

FreeNas

NAS4Free

Windows:

Server 2012 R2 (Essentials)

Server 2008 R2

I have a Rocketraid 2720SGL that is in my current server running 4x 750gb WD Greens in a Raid 5 setup. However with the Linux/BSD Nas route, I can use software mdraid, or ZFS, and On Server 2012 I have Storage Spaces available. The plan is to replace the 750gb with 3TB drives down the road when I need the space.

Software I need to be able to run:

Ventrilo (have considered mumble on OMV)

Plex (server)

Anybody have any success stories? Has the intel "raid" improved over the years to not need the 2720?

Drashna Jaelre

Well, I'd recommend Server 2012R2, but I'm biased against linux....

As for the intel rapid storage stuff.... nope, still crap. Well, maybe not as much, but that 2720 will probably be MUCH better.

tx.canyon

Well, I'd recommend Server 2012R2, but I'm biased against linux....

As for the intel rapid storage stuff.... nope, still crap. Well, maybe not as much, but that 2720 will probably be MUCH better.

I have Server 2012 R2 from Dreamspark, but my concern for now is the ability of the dual core to work during writes to the storage pool + parity. In the next 6 months Im going to upgrade to the Xeon that is 4C 8T but no onboard video (already confirmed via dell that it is supported)

Edited by tx.canyon

Drashna Jaelre

That definitely depends on the CPU in question. 

IIRC, the throughput of the parity storage for Storage Spaces was pretty horrible (well, at least not good). 

http://homeservershow.com/server-2012-storage-spaces-testing-the-rtm-version.html

I would still recommend well, anything but Storage Spaces for storage. RAID5, or a software solution (such as flex/snap raid, StableBit DrivePool, Drive Bender, etc).

Though, the higher end xeon would definitely work better. But make sure you still have VGA on the system. You may not need it often, but it may help when troubleshooting, when stuff does happen.

ikon

I agree, headless servers are fine in theory, but a pain in practice. I will never have one again. All my computers will have a GPU or some type of remote access card (RAC, iLO, etc.) so that I can see what the heck is going on.

schoondoggy

I think the cost of Server 2012E R2 will make it a non-factor for home server use. I have been doing a bit of testing on alternatives. FreeNAS is my first test and I must say it has come a long way since I last tried it 3-4 years ago.

ikon

schoondoggy, are you planning to use Acronis for client backup?

Joe_Miner

Very interesting package..............

Drashna Jaelre

Definitely. Will have to look into as well.