RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cocoa117

S3 suspend to ram BIOS feature

cocoa117

Hi 

Can anyone who is running on Gen8 with Linux machine find out if you can do S3 suspend to ram now? With previous edition of Microserver, it doesn't support this in BIOS. I have N40L, but can't do any "sleep" on this server, just wonder if this one can do it.

thanks

sebus05

As per other thread reply:

There is NO such option in BIOS to enable

sebus

ikon

As I understand it, the hardware doesn't have the chipset features to support S3.

cocoa117

As I understand it, the hardware doesn't have the chipset features to support S3.

thanks for confirming

Jiv_au

Thanks for the information.

I was starting to pouring all my effort (aka weekends) into resolving S3 (save to RAM) in Ubuntu 14.04.1

So, hibernate is the only sleep mode available in Gen8, but hibernate selection is not readily available,

so I followed these instructions to change that:

1. Show hibernate in the desktop drop-down menu (top-left) (Hibernate is hidden by default)

http://askubuntu.com/questions/361734/hibernation-is-still-missing-from-menu-in-13-10-after-enabling-via-polkit-how-t/362499#362499

2. Hibernate from idle timeout (Power Option only displays Suspend for sleep after idle timeout)

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-type hibernate

The only problem with hibernate is that it takes a full 2 minutes to resume.

ikon

I can't help you with getting Hibernate to show on the Desktop because I don't Sleep or Hibernate my servers.

Jiv_au

I can't help you with getting Hibernate to show on the Desktop because I don't Sleep or Hibernate my servers.

Sorry ikon, I seemed to have been ambiguous...

What I meant to say was that I did get Hibernate to show up, by following the instruction in the link, and that it all works.

ikon

That's great. Congrats.

Taffeys

The only problem with hibernate is that it takes a full 2 minutes to resume.

In Hibernate (S4) the system consumes the least power compared to all other sleep states (S1, S2 & S3). The system is almost at an OFF state, except for a "trickle" of power. Upon hibernation the context data is written to the hard drive and there is no context retained in memory.

Seems you have a slow system disk.

Jiv_au

In Hibernate (S4) the system consumes the least power compared to all other sleep states (S1, S2 & S3). The system is almost at an OFF state, except for a "trickle" of power. Upon hibernation the context data is written to the hard drive and there is no context retained in memory.

Seems you have a slow system disk.

The 2 minute to resume from hibernate is mostly taken up by the BIOS boot sequence. Once it gets to loading the Ubuntu OS then it's about 10 seconds.

I've hardly used hibernation in any system so I'm not sure if this is normal, or a Ubuntu thing.

And as for "trickle" of power, I have a power meter to check this - it's 24 watts.

But then I discovered that it's the same for when I shut it down.

Wonder if it's because I have Wake-on-LAN enabled? I can power it on remotely even though it has been shutdown.