RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

USB stick not creating properly to flash BIOS

benny269

Having had an N40L sitting around unopened (project that didn't kick off last year), I'm planning to install Windows 8.1 Pro. I've been trying to update to the latest vanilla BIOS (SP64420.exe) unsuccessfully because the USB creation utility doesn't put the full list of files onto the USB stick as expected. The USB creation utility runs completing successfully with the full progress bar and the confirmation dialog saying that the USB stick has been created but it only puts the two IBM files onto the USB. Following this description I can see there should be a number of other files here from the Flat Files list but they are all missing.

Is the installation file working correctly? In this screenshot, there's 15 files (incl. hidden) but that was for an older version of the BIOS (SP54344.exe). When you create the USB with SP64220, how many files should I have on the USB? I seem to have only 2 files - IBMBIO and IBMDOS. There's no ROM file for a start, let alone any of the others.

I've repeated the process multiple times with different USB sticks without success. Is there any way that I can just copy the appropriate files to the USB stick? This is the first time I'm doing this so I'm feeling extra cautious at the moment. I haven't tried the USB as is since I didn't want to screw anything up during an attempted flash.

Help appreciated. Thanks.

Files names cannot be longer than 8 characters, just something to remember.  I think the ROM name has to be truncated.

As I posted in the other thread:

You normally can just copy all of the other files to the USB stick, but you need to ensure you have the right ones of course. The 2 you do have on the stick are the ones needed to make the stick bootable (a good thing :) ). Also, be sure to follow jmwills advice, although I suspect all the files already have 8.3 names, since they're designed to be put on USB sticks.

I made the same mistake on my first BIOS mod.  I tried to rename the ROM file and it was a no go.

Yeah, renaming the ROM file is not recommended. It might work if one were to modify the script that launches the update, but I haven't tried that.

-snip-

Is there any way that I can just copy the appropriate files to the USB stick? This is the first time I'm doing this so I'm feeling extra cautious at the moment. I haven't tried the USB as is since I didn't want to screw anything up during an attempted flash.

-snip-

Hi Benny269:

As I told you last week in response to your PM before the Memorial Weekend the USB stick that I saved from my successful flashing of SP6440 has 10 files on it – NOT 15. 

The Blog I had pointed you to HP ProLiant MicroServer BIOS Flash with SP64420 includes the video of the process HP MicroServer BIOS Upgrade & Flash – in the comments section on that video Colin Hughes posted a link to an article on how to copy the Flat Files, including the ROMPaq, to a USB that wasn’t properly created by HP’s SP64420 BUT the proper files were loaded onto the machine you loaded SP64420 on.

But -- If you’re not comfortable Flashing your BIOS you shouldn’t be attempting to do it -- because you could very well brick your machine.

• Like 1

ikon: Hat tip for this reassurance. This was my hunch and I was just looking for that confirmation.

Joe_Miner: Thanks for the file count reminder. As I mentioned, the file list I was linking to is from your older post on SP54344 (referring to successfully created USB sticks with both 11 and 15 file counts) and since your video of the SP64420 install didn't show the file list I was wrongly assuming they would have stayed the same. 

jmwills: I wasn't changing any of the file names to begin with. Any reason why someone might do that? All but files have 8.3 names except the ROM file which is 9 characters long. If I'm following correctly, you said the restriction should apply but also that renaming the ROM is a bad idea, so is it best to leave it and give it a shot first?

To recap and for those who might look at this in future, I did the following:

1. install SP64420
  2. download and run HPQUSB placing 2 IBM files onto the USB
  3. copy all 8 of the Flat Files to the USB

Despite showing hidden files and folders in the settings, I still got a prompt for overwriting an invisible AUTOEXEC and after the whole process as soon as I press F5 (or if I remove and reconnect the USB) both AUTOEXEC and CONFIG files seem to disappear. I assume they're still there so the full list of copied files should be as follows:

1. IBMBIO
  2. IBMDOS
  3. AUTOEXEC
  4. CONFIG.SYS
  5. flash
  6. HPQUSB
  7. kbd
  8. 041100113.ROM
  9. readme.1st
  10. Readme

It would be good if someone else could chime in to say if they have the same set of files but otherwise I'll hopefully give this a run later today.

Edited by benny269