RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Delayed Write Failed errors

OK, the mere number of times this has popped up in my illustrious 25 year career is so small that i'm thinking this has to be something wrong w/ SBE12r2 or HP Microserver... I've rolled out 4 Microservers since october 2013 and haven't really replaced many of the PCs associated w/ these clients, I've seen this Delayed Write Failed messages on 10 WindowsXP machines.  I don't have the SBE 'client' installed on these PCs so there is really nothing new on the PCs since the server cutovers.   Here's the wording:  "Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\$Mft"   I find it incredibly hard to believe that 10 hard drives are going bad w/in the same few weeks of each other and in different offices.  

Does anybody have any experience with these errors ?  Of course i ran chkdsk on several of the PCs, some had errors others didn't.  I just received word that 4 PCs had this error this morning at my most recently migration (sbs2003 - sbe2012r2).   Strange no?  

TIA, 

-- Pete

photo.JPG

Oh boy, this sounds like one of those vexxing problems that will be hard to resolve. I agree, it's too much of a coincidence. Also, I don't think it's any coincidence that they all seem to be XP machines. Are there any non-XP computers in the mix? Are they having any issues?

Microsoft seriously changed the IP stack after XP. I seriously wonder if you're running into network protocol issues. One thing I would check is the duplex setting for the NICs in the XP computers. If it's set to Auto, try setting it to Full. If that doesn't work, try Half. Also, check the duplex settings on the switch ports for those XP computers and do likewise.

Drashna Jaelre

This looks to be a disk error, most likely.

$Mft is the "Master File Table" for NTFS. It's what it sounds like, and is basically the "file allocation table", but includes a lot more data. If there are issues reading this... then you can't read the disk.  If it's failing to write to it, then well, yeah...

A chkdsk pass may not help here at all. In fact, I suspect that if you were to look at the SMART data, you will likely find that the disks are failing. Given that they're XP machines and how old they probably are.... I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is 100% disk related. 

Yeah. That's why I asked if there are any non-XP computers having the same issue. If there are Win7 computers not having the issue, that kinda pushes it away from being disk-related. And I agree with PetieG; 10 hard drives all at once? Hmmmm.....

Drashna Jaelre

Virus could do that, as well though. Got an offline/boot disk utility to check the disks and virus scan them too?

All winXP pro SP3....  astounding really...  i'll check speed/duplex and hard code... strange... 

Not soooo strange when you consider how much the IP stack changed -- it was major, basically a complete rewrite.

Also, when I ran into issues with this, I also found that it mattered which Ethernet switch the computers were connected to. In particular, some of the NetGear ones were pretty picky about the settings.

jmwills

This is beginning to sound netwofk related. Whatcspeed setting arevthe NICs set to? Auto or the speed of the NIC.?

If Auto then manually set the speed

I've changed link/speed to full100 where i can, but could only do 1000 Auto-negotiate on a few (no 1000Full option).  Well, clients been mentioning new PCs in a few months, maybe now is as better a time as any... !?  

jmwills

Go 100 but no Auto. There is very liitle chance all these drives starting failing at once. Well, two actually. Slim and none and Slim just left town