RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backing up PC's to WHS2011 - OS vs Shared pictures

javaman

Hi, so I will soon be building my 1st WHS2011 and was wondering how best to handle backups to the server. I also plan on running Stablebit Drivepool on the server to duplicate most if not all files placed on the server. 

Take my wife's PC, I want to back everything up on it to WHS2011. I understand that from the dashboard backup section I can choose the OS and My Documents etc.,  However, I thought I read these are stored in inaccessible data volumes, which is fine for the OS. But she also stores most of the pictures on her PC and we would like to backup all of these to a shared pictures folder on the server. How do you recommend I set this backup up?

This PC does not ever leave the house.  We have a laptop as well but that hardly leaves now and has little data on it.

jmwills

I would redirect all the local folders, such as the pictures, data,etc. to the server and keep nothing local.

jmwills

Copy all the data to the server and using the Libraries features of Windows (from 7 forward) change the location of that particular library to point to the server location.

This is all out of the box capability, nothing to add.  There is a default Photo/Pictures created by the WHS 2011 installation.  Just use that one.

This way your data is on the server and hopefully is being backed up to the cloud or taken off site and the only thing to backup from a client is the OS.

Joe_Miner

I created a specific Share Folder(s) in WHS2011 (do it in the DashBoard) for our family pictures and video media -- these folders are duplicated with DrivePool, they are also backed up to CrashPlan.   I moved all my copies to the Server.

Any PC in my house can access these folders

Joe_Miner

AllwaySync to my old V1 machine in addition to Crashplan plus hardcopy of my "best" pictures.

Copy all the data to the server and using the Libraries features of Windows (from 7 forward) change the location of that particular library to point to the server location.

This is all out of the box capability, nothing to add.  There is a default Photo/Pictures created by the WHS 2011 installation.  Just use that one.

This way your data is on the server and hopefully is being backed up to the cloud or taken off site and the only thing to backup from a client is the OS.

Ok, I see store as little on the PC at all, except maybe the OS and installed programs. - Got it!!!!

I will create My Documents folders for her PC, one for mine and one for the kids laptop, and limit access to users - well parents can see the kids stuff for now.

So in order to point the libraries to the WHS box, do I need to map a share or does the dashboard installation create a share.

I also backup images and docs to an external drive, but know I need to improve my backup plan.