RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote access help!

Jordan226

I've got a Synology DS214se and I've been trying to set it up for remote access but I'm not having much luck,I've tried using the EZ-Set up wizard but that didn't work cos my router wasn't in the list so i forwarded the ports i needed manually on my router and gave the diskstation a static IP address but that still didn't work either. So i then tried quick connect but when i came to give my diskstation a quick connect ID the box just stays red and says 'some of your settings are invalid. please enter them again.' Doesn't seem to matter what i type in the box just stays red obviously meaning i can't proceed any further. Hope someone can help. 

Thanks in advance

Does the remote app setup a DNS name or do you use an IP address?

Thanks for your reply! The remote app lets you use either a DNS name or an IP address I've tried using the IP address but have no luck. 

When i actually say i have no luck,i can connect to it on my internal LAN but i can't connect to it externally which is what i want to do,should of mentioned that in the first post sorry. 

When you set up the port forwards, you did forward to the local IP of your Syno, right?

When you try to connect from outside your LAN, you are using your WAN IP, right?, the one assigned to you by your ISP.

I apologize if these seem like overly simplistic questions; I just want to ensure the basics are covered.

The url would be your ip followed by the port number such ss

Https:// 123.45.67.89:443

When you set up the port forwards, you did forward to the local IP of your Syno, right?

When you try to connect from outside your LAN, you are using your WAN IP, right?, the one assigned to you by your ISP.

I apologize if these seem like overly simplistic questions; I just want to ensure the basics are covered.

Yeah i forwarded the ports to the local IP of my Syno e.g 192.168.1.450 is that right? And no I've actually been typing in my LAN IP instead of my public IP (the one assigned to me by my ISP) that could be where I'm going wrong lol! I'll go out for a drive later and try my public IP instead of my LAN IP and see if it works lol! 

192.168.1.450  is an invalid IP Address

You forward ports to the INTERNAL IP Address, not to the external

192.168.1.450  is an invalid IP Address

You forward ports to the INTERNAL IP Address, not to the external

Yeah i know it is i was using it as an example. I have forwarded the ports to the internal IP address. How ever I've just got home after going out to try accessing my Syno from outside my house using my external IP address and it worked :) Well the audio station worked anyway for some reason the video station wouldn't let me log in but that app has been playing up lately. So I'm getting there slowly :) 

Jordan226, glad to hear you're now getting some connectivity.

It's really important to use the WAN IP. Just so you know, by convention, Private Range IPs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network#Private_IPv4_address_spaces) are NOT permitted on the Internet. Every Internet connected router is supposed to be configured to completely ignore packets that have Private Network IPs in them: i.e. you can NEVER get there from here :D

Jordan226, glad to hear you're now getting some connectivity.

It's really important to use the WAN IP. Just so you know, by convention, Private Range IPs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network#Private_IPv4_address_spaces) are NOT permitted on the Internet. Every Internet connected router is supposed to be configured to completely ignore packets that have Private Network IPs in them: i.e. you can NEVER get there from here :D

Thanks ikon i didn't actually know that lol. Yep i even managed to log in from my laptop at work today so all seems to be well :) Thanks for your help guys. I think i need to open more ports for the video station to work so once that's done everything should be ok. Now i need to start a new topic about the VPN server lol.