RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
sebus05

Power usage while switched off

sebus05

For testing only, so currently no LAN connected, iLO4 connected.

Single SSD on port 5 AHCI mode

Unit switched off. Yet it still takes ~ 10 watts (9.69 to be precise)

I was hoping it would be less.

sebus

psikey

With my G8 on 3 different meters it pulls 4-5w (240V UK supply) off with iLO4 enabled.

sebus05

Which is what I would expect to be. But not twice the value (what I see here with same 240V UK supply) without anything in PCI-Express slot

sebus

Edited by sebus05

Joe_Miner

With my G8 on 3 different meters it pulls 4-5w (240V UK supply) off with iLO4 enabled.

I'm also seeing about 5W when off.

ikon

LOL, @ 5W, if it were a light bulb, it would make a barely viable night light :D

psikey

You've obviously not caught up with the latest LED spotlights then! My new 4.2W GU10's (replacing 50w halogen Spots) are seriously bright!! 

In fact, I've got LED's now throughout the house with total load if all on at ~60W, or less then one of the old incandescent candle bulbs with previously load on old lighting would be ~1000W if all on.

Other than my fish-tank heater (150w), my IT kit is now likely my biggest constant load if you take into account Router/Switch/Server. The TV/Kettle/Oven etc. are all obviously consume much more power but they aren't on constantly.

If you think 5W is low, a normal PC will be under 1W in sleep.

My newly built Intel NUC ultra-tiny i5-4250 with 16GB RAM; dual band wireless & Bluetooth; an internal 180GB mSATA SSD, internal 2TB 2.5" drive and external 4TB 2.5" drive USB3 portable drive all consume under 10W running !! Its now become my always on device replacing the G8 Microserver. Flat out it only consumes under 28W. Can easily handle multiple plex transcodes and even a bit of Virtualisation with its VT-x/VT-d capable CPU (and AES encryption) plus HD5000 graphics  !!  Also. totally silent in my lounge.

I could (money allowing) connect another 3x4TB USB3 dives for a total of 18TB !! And with these 4TB housings internally being the new Seagate/Samsung 2x2TB portables in RAID0 they transfer at 200MB/s. I don't RAID it as I just backup to a QNAP TS-470Pro as needed. I actually took the E3-1265LV2 out of the Microserver and put it in the QNAP TS-470Pro with 16GB RAM making that an Ultra NAS. The i3-3220 is now in the Micorserver working perfectly.

Edited by psikey

ikon

I deliberately said "light bulb", meaning not  an LED, or even CFL. Think old fashioned Christmas light bulbs; that's basically what night lights are/were. Besides, it was a joke :)

In reality, I have been using fluorescent and LED lighting for years, but I never say "light bulb" when I'm talking about an LED lamp.

You must have a small house if you would only be using 1,000W with incandescent bulbs on. At 60W, that's only about 16 to 17 bulbs. I have 25 lights just on my main floor, and that doesn't count the garage, front yard, porch or back deck. Overall, I have around 60 lights in the house. At 60W each, that would be 3,600 watts!

Still, that would only be the equivalent of around 3 hair dryers.

I think you would find it interesting to figure out how much of your electric bill goes to your oven, air conditioning, clothes dryer, clothes washer, kettle, TV, stereo, etc., and how many KWHs they're using per month. I suspect it's more than your IT gear.

Question: you say you have 4.2W GU-10 LEDs that are supposed to replace 50W halogens? I just bought 4 GU-10 LEDs at Home Depot. I got 6W LEDs because they replace 50W halogens. Are you on 220V? Is that what makes the difference?

sebus05

None of above explains why I see 10W and not like anybody here 5W

sebus

psikey

I know it was a joke! No offence intended.

I think your in USA but in UK its all light bulbs to us.

And yes, I bet my entire 3 bedroom detached house is smaller than one of your rooms! One of your typical American fridge/freezers would fill half my kitchen :)

Downstairs lighting is only 9 x 4.2W lights while upstairs its 10 of them. Do have one old fashioned 250W Halogen spot outside back door but bet its on less than 2 hours each year.

Not sure on the LED's but these are the latest 3rd gen in UK which are now rated A++ on our energy rating system. We still also have the 6w but they are cheaper.

Just re-visiting my point regarding power use, the little Intel NUC with 6TB storage uses less power than my old Netgear Internet Router even with a CPU that's more powerful than the standard Microserver CPU and with wireless & Bluetooth! That's power optimisation for you.

Edited by psikey

ikon

Yeah, I was wondering if it's something like line voltage that's making the difference. Makes sense, double the voltage at the same wattage, double the light :)

I'm in Canada BTW. My house is 1400 sq. ft. (130 sq. meters).