RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS with Avast! 5 or Windows Firewall

byronomo

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has any suggestions on the following Firewall Question.

My Config:

EX475 (Have not upgraded to PowerPack 3--and don't plan to unless necessary)

Not running Anti-Virus on server

Just installed a new client running Win7 Home Premium

Questions:

1. After installing Avast! 5, I disabled the Windows Firewall. However my WHS icon turns red and alerts me that there is no firewall...Is there a way to get it to recognize Avast other than just clicking "ignore this issue"

2. I'm finding conflicting info on the net about whether or not one should run Avast! 5 and Win7 Firewall together, so I'm not sure which is valid. Anyone here run this configuration with or without problems? Some links:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7security/thread/f918e678-a02b-43fa-bd71-5ac9fe03f039

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55436.0

Basically the Avast guys say "no problem" and Microsoft says "get rid of the competing product".

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

OK, that makes sense then. The free version doesn't have a firewall. Leave the Windows 7 firewall turned on. You have to pay to get avast! Internet Security, but that one should register properly with Windows 7 and not generate WHS warnings.

I have used Avast for years, but v5 is giving me problems with sending e-mails. I had to disable scanning of outgoing messages so my e-mail would send. When my subscriptions run out may be going to MSSE on everything?

I agree, I have migrated my Clients from McAfee to MSSE and now just whish that Microsoft would release a version for WHS.

OK, that makes sense then. The free version doesn't have a firewall. Leave the Windows 7 firewall turned on. You have to pay to get avast! Internet Security, but that one should register properly with Windows 7 and not generate WHS warnings.

Thank you very much!

I'm up in the air about anti-virus on the server, but I would absolutely love a Security Essentials addin that would give me centralized status/reporting for all my home server clients...