RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
venturis

SMART data for RDM Disks under ESXi

venturis

Hi Guys,

I came across this interesting post on another forum that indicates that it is possible to get SMART data for hardisks under ESXi inside a virtual machine.

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/131-how-to-get-smart-data-passed-on-from-esxi-51-host/

Prior to this I was led to believe that it was not possible but some forum members seemed to have had success with WSE2012.

Unfortunately whilst I followed the instructions I still could not get it to work.  Changing the parameter in the config file stopped the StableBit Scanner service from loading.

I was trying to get SMART data passed to my WHS2011 Virutal Machine from my RDM mapped WD Green drives.

Maybe its a WHS2011 incompatibility.

Thought I would post and let others have a go and maybe they will have more luck.

I'd be interested in getting feedback on the results.

adster01

Having come across your topic, I've given this a try, and have had no success. My scanner is still operational however.

This is on a G8 with esxi 5.5 (HP).

venturis

Having come across your topic, I've given this a try, and have had no success. My scanner is still operational however.

This is on a G8 with esxi 5.5 (HP).

I finally did get this to work.

I made the mistake of downloading the latest BETA version of Stablebit Scanner rather than the current release.

The BETA version would stop working if I made the suggested changes to the config file.

The current release version (v 2.4 I think) worked perfectly.  I now have full SMART diagnostics for my WHS2011 virtual machine under ESXi 5.5.  :)

The application is a little expensive for what is does but could be a lifesaver if it prevents a total HDD failure.

adster01

Hmmm, I'm running Server 2012 Essentials and Scanner v 2.4.0.2928 and still unable to get SMART diags working. Still showing "The on-disk SMART check is not accessible on any of your disks."

venturis

Hmmm, I'm running Server 2012 Essentials and Scanner v 2.4.0.2928 and still unable to get SMART diags working. Still showing "The on-disk SMART check is not accessible on any of your disks."

You realise it only works with RDM mapped disks?

adster01

You realise it only works with RDM mapped disks?

Yeah, it was the only way I could use the full capacity of my 3TB disks.

venturis

Yeah, it was the only way I could use the full capacity of my 3TB disks.

If it works for me under WHS2011 on an N54L with ESXi5.5 it should also work for you I'm guessing.  I don't think it's hardware dependent.

Sorry I can't help more that but I'm sure you'll get it to work.