RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
revengineer

Drivebender v2 close to release

revengineer

Just to give an update on the Drivebender development. Over the past months a small group of inner-circle beta testers has worked with DB developer Anthony to iron out the bugs in the v2 software. I was one of these beta testers.

I joined the beta program because of a bug in v1, where permissions in the sublevel folders were not honored correctly. This was not good as it allowed my family to accidentally delete photos, music, etc. While there is no evidence that this actually happened, I did not want to wait for a disaster. Since the issue will not be fixed in v1, I had no choice to jump on the v2 band wagon. Working on the beta was pleasant. To work efficient, we circumvented the support system and communicated directly via email, allowing turn arounds of information in real time.

I joined the beta program late (February 2014 or so). At that time the beta was working but was very rough around the edges. I quickly realized that there were not enough beta testers testing the full range of features. Most testers simply installed the beta on their production server, but did not execute large amounts of drives add/remove/swap operation. My main contribution was to fill in this gap, using VMs to execute hundreds of these operations. Over all I probably spend a couple hundred of hour running these tests. I specifically note that in the entire testing I have not evidenced a single incident of data loss in the VMs.

Yesterday, Anthony released v2.0.4.0d and after lots of hard work this version finally meets my standards. All the benign warnings and errors that have been fought over the past months are resolved. I am running betas on my production server for the past two weeks without issues. So even though still beta, I can highly recommend use of this version. The final early release 1 (ER1) is due next week on 30 May. Anthony's blog has all the new features, so you can read about them elsewhere.

If you are thinking about buying DB, this is a good time. It's still on sale (as it has been for the past year), but Anthony mentioned the sale will go away when ER1 is released. 

Final comment: I do not work for Anthony and do not have any monetary gain from this post. I am used a happy user with a bunch of experience with this software.

Cheers.

• Like 1

ikon

I'll have a look at the blog, but 1 quick question if you don't mind: does DBv2 support ejection and detection-on-reconnection of USB drives/enclosures?

revengineer

I'll have a look at the blog, but 1 quick question if you don't mind: does DBv2 support ejection and detection-on-reconnection of USB drives/enclosures?

I saw a while ago that you are interest it this and I think for v1 you found that it does not work. I have not seen this features advertised with v2 so I do not know whether anything changed to this regard. v2 does use a new virtual drive emulator so you could try it out. v1 license keys are still good for v2. I certainly have not tested this behavior.