RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server 2012 Essentials and Essentials R2

Muzz826

Hi, 

I currently have a HP MicroServer setup with Windows Server 2012 Essentials. I'm considering buying a second server and a Server 2012 Essentials R2 license, but I don't know if you can have multiple domain controllers running Essentials, or if I'd have to buy standard instead to have a second DC.

Thank you in advance for helping with this question.

It'll have to be Standard on the second DC. Essentials has to hold all five of the FSMO roles in a domain, if one of the servers running Essentials detects that it doesn't have the roles then it goes into a 'migration mode grace period' of 21 days after which it will shut itself down regularly. It's designed to allow for migrations from one system to another.

Theoretically you could have two Essentials servers on the same network, if they were on separate domains - but that would be a complete mess to manage and sort out.

John

You can absolutely do it, like jem 101 said, on two different domains on the same network segment.  Remote Access would be more trouble than its worth.

You can pretty much have as many Domains on any given LAN as you want, but I don't want to think about managing all of it.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was figuring my easiest way would be to have the second DC be on standard, but just wanted to confirm. :)