RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

GPT Protective Partition

haxxorboi

Hey all,

This is a cross-post from HardForums (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1819261). Basically, I've got 3TB drives showing up as a 2TB GPT Protective partitions or not at all. All the drives worked properly and detected under the OS and FlexRAID in WHS2011. I'm thinking it either has something to do with the drivers or the way FlexRAID used the drives, but I honestly don't know, so I'm hoping someone on here has a better idea. To avoid retyping everything, here's what I wrote before:

-----

I forgot that a while back I tried to do the same thing and discovered some weird partitioning issue (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1748573). Well, it's happening again. I managed to do the RAID>ATA>AHCI switch and it did absolutely nothing. 

The current HDD situation is this:
On-Board AMD SB700: 4x3TB WD Reds (3 were in previous FlexRAID pool and now show up only as unformated 2048GB drives; 1 was NOT previously in pool and shows up as a 2.73TB single, properly formatted partition)

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8: 3x2TB WD Greens (all show up fine) and 2x3TB WD Reds (show up as a 2048GB GPT Protective Partition and a 746.52GB Unallocated partition)

I'm not really sure what is going on. I believe all the drivers are up to date. I'm wondering if FlexRAID is at fault here for messing with the partitions or something (I posted to the FR forum, we'll see what the dev says), but I honestly don't know. The drives work fine in WHS2011, but fail here as they did the last time I tried to upgrade to 2012E.

I can't do a diskpart clean without wiping out the data on the drives, but I don't know if 2012E wants to format them itself or something to work properly...

Anyone have any ideas here as to what to do?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• timekills

• haxxorboi

Have you used the disk part command on that drive?  Sound like you need to.

Have you used the disk part command on that drive?  Sound like you need to.

Can you be a bit more specific? The drives have data on them, and the only operations that I can think of diskpart doing here (e.g., diskpart clean, clean all, etc.) are destructive. I might not be remembering a way to convert them from their protective state back to functionality.

I'm not actually sure what GPT Protective state is, but I can't help wondering if this is a FlexRAID issue: i.e. that it can't handle drives over 2TB. Is this possible?

I'm not actually sure what GPT Protective state is, but I can't help wondering if this is a FlexRAID issue: i.e. that it can't handle drives over 2TB. Is this possible?

No, FlexRAID will definitely work with 3TB drives. I had WHS2011 running with most of these drives before reformatting to install 2012E. If I recall correctly, I formatted the drives with GPT (not MBR, which would be a 2TB max per partition), and then I added the drives without any issues into the FlexRAID pool.

Perhaps it is a driver issue between 2011 vs 2012E? I can't think of a reason that one would properly detect as a single 3TB partition if it wasn't for FlexRAID doing something funny with them though.

WHS2011 can definitely do GPT partitions. Did you create the partitions using Disk Manager?

I believe so, but it was a while ago. I think, once I got the Reds, I did sector scans for errors, popped them into the case, and then formatted them as one single GPT partition through Disk Manager on WHS2011.

In Disk Manager, if you right-click on the square to the left of where the partitions are listed for each drive, one of the options is "Create RAID-5 Volume". I presume you used that?

In Disk Manager, if you right-click on the square to the left of where the partitions are listed for each drive, one of the options is "Create RAID-5 Volume". I presume you used that?

No, I think my last post was unclear. I did not create any RAID volumes from within Disk Manager. The only RAID that was active was running my SSDs in RAID-1 through the bootup SB700 prompts. All drives besides the SSDs (e.g., the Reds) were each initialized and formatted through Disk Manager separately as single partition drives (i.e., the 2TB drives each were formatted as single 1.8TB partitions and the 3TB drives each were formatted as single 2.7TB partitions).

Edited by haxxorboi

Can you place the drive in another system and see if it reads the same?  Everything I can search for on GPT Protective Partition  says to use diskpart.