RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Which RAID cards are "supported"

sebus05

Obviously P222, but what about HP 462594-001 013218-001 Smart Array P212 (which has much acceptable price?)

Anything else?

sebus

edit:

The answer is already here (which could be a sticky to save time)

Edited by sebus05

It's already in the Links Page "Gen8 MicroServer Links" under the heading RAID.

Anybody tried:

Dell PERC H200 047MCV Adapter
8-Port 6Gb/s SAS SATA Controller Card 

Of course iLO will not deal with it, but should work?

sebus

I would not put a PERC controller in an HP server.  And it definitely wouldn't be "supported".

If I wasn't going to go HP Smart Array in a Microserver, I'd go Adaptec.  However, the iLO support is worth doing Smart Array in my opinion, as well as lower fan speeds (any unsupported fan controller is going to ramp up your fan speeds and thus your noise).

EDIT:  To clarify, the P222 is officially supported.  The P420 will work with iLO.  HP also lists downloads for firmware of the following storage controllers on their website under the Microserver Gen8 page.

Smart Array P230i, P430, P431, P731m, P830i, and P830

The 230i and P830i are integrated on mainboards.  I'm sure someone else can explain the m in P731m.  I would guess that the Smart Array P430 and P431 will probably work and be supported (as this line effectively replaces the P420) but in my mind the rest would be a crap shoot.

Edited by LoneWolf

Dear All,

Actually the HP SmartArray P420with 1GB FBWC is cheap (aroud 300$) Have 8 ports and 1GB FBWC, is simply not beatable, no maintenance (Capacitors include with the FBWC).

I looked for the new LSI 9341-8ports 12GB SAS, but for me is clearly better to take the P420. (more IO, and FBWC with capacitor)

:)

I don't think many members consider $300 cheap. Granted, it may be a good deal for what you get, but they still don't consider it cheap. $100 is cheap ;) The HighPoint RR2720, at around $150, is relatively cheap.

• Like 1