RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Any online store that still carries WHS2011?

Diodato

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• Diodato

• brian6700

If I buy a whs 2011 key from ebay (without the disk), is it possible to download an iso anywhere?  I'm not a subscriber, so I wouldn't be able to download the iso from msdn. 

If I buy a whs 2011 key from ebay (without the disk), is it possible to download an iso anywhere?  I'm not a subscriber, so I wouldn't be able to download the iso from msdn. 

No.

Plenty of torrent sites have it... and you may be able to compare the SHA hash... but no, there is no official download location outside of MSDN.

• 2 months later...

I have a EX495 and wanted to upgrade to 2011 from V1. Not only is it getting hard to find WHS 2011, it's next to impossible to get a compatible 4GB stick of ram for them anymore... how well would it run on a EX495 with 2GB of ram?

On that topic, how different is WHS2011 from V1? Is it worth the hassle?

One of my current worries is that, when my current setup dies forever, there is no way to load v1 onto a new box that isn't a mediasmart server. That and it's no longer supported...

End of Support either has already ended for Server 2003 or is about to.  You need to consider that also.  WHS 2011 is not going to run all that well with only 2 gigs.

End of Support either has already ended for Server 2003 or is about to.  You need to consider that also.  WHS 2011 is not going to run all that well with only 2 gigs.

But WHSv1 is based on Server 2003 with SP2, whose end of extended support is April of next year. 

https://support2.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3198

And .... WHSv1 didn't run great on 2GB of RAM. So WHS2011 definitely won't.

Also, unless you plan on micromanaging the data, you'll need to get some sort of Drive Extender replacement such as Drive Bender or StableBit DrivePool.