RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System drive

geek-accountant

I think my system driving is failing. The SMART data says it is healthy, but boot up is SLOOOW and I am getting some errors in the Event Viewer. Also, the Console is very slow to start up and will often crash.

I have run check disk at boot up and every now and then it will find something, but most of the time it doesn't. Just to be safe, I would like to replace the System drive. Anyone have any tips on the best way to go about this? Can I just clone the drive?

Mike

Nope , you can't just clone the system drive. It has to do with drive volume id's. But here is a method on how, http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6826 this method is helpful because it keeps all your PC backups and any shares data you have on the system drive and your OS and all windows updates and you do not need to have folder duplication on.

If you just replace the system drive with a new drive and do a server recovery, you are in effect installing a new OS. Then you will have to go through the process of installing all the windows updates. Since this is a new drive, you do not have a copy of the PC backups because that was on the old drive. Only if you install the BDBB addin and copied those backup to an other drive. Also you will loose any data that was on that d: partition of the old system drive. Ouch.

A option is to turn ON Folder Duplication on all the shares so that any SHARES data that is on the old system drive is duplicated onto an other drive and if you want to keep the PC backups, install and run the BDBB addin. Then you have to wait long enough to make sure the data has been duplicated. Now you can replace the system drive with a new one and do a Server Recovery. Once your all updated, Folder Duplication will see that there is only 1 copy of some files and it will create the duplication.

This option could be undoable if you don't have enough space to enable Folder Duplication on all shares.

Your other option is to add a drive to your server but not as part of the pool, and use it to backup all your shares. Now when you replace the system drive and have done all the windows updates, do a restore from this backup drive and replace the shares, it will give you an option to replace only missing files.

John.

Thanks John. First I need to go pick up a new drive, then I will give it a try. You would know this happens at the same time I go over to the mother in-laws and bring home her desktop for an upgrade. First step was going to be to do a backup to the WHS. O' well, that will have to wait another day or two.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Nope , you can't just clone the system drive.

If you just replace the system drive with a new drive and do a server recovery, you are in effect installing a new OS. Then you will have to go through the process of installing all the windows updates. Since this is a new drive, you do not have a copy of the PC backups because that was on the old drive. Only if you install the BDBB addin and copied those backup to an other drive. Also you will loose any data that was on that d: partition of the old system drive. Ouch.

John.

One more reason I think the system drive should NOT be part of the pool.

Yes, I too had this problem recently, and it was a major head-ache, my outcome was not pretty!

I too do not believe that the OS/Boot/Software Drive should be part of the pool, the problem is I have not totally figure out how to put a drive in that machine that is only used for the OS. The install always wants to use part of the drive as storage, and I cant get the remove option to show up.

I have a 250Gig SATA as the OS drive, and (6) 2.oTb WD as storage, but part of the 250 is in the storage, I would gladly give up the extra part of the 250Gig, just leave it empty.

I am hoping that this is corrected in 'Vail' and to a point it is as 'Vail' uses so much more OS/Program space that I can just install a 120gig or 160gig HD and almost nothing wil be left of the drive for storage. My plan for 'Vail' (which is how my test box is setup right now) is (2) 160Gig HDs in a Raid 1 configuration as the boot/OS drive and WD 2.oTb drives as storage. That way if I blow a Boot/OS drive just replace it with another one and keep on moving.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the method posted by Diehard successfully a couple times now. Twice to upgrade the OS drive to larger drives and once to replace a failing OS drive. Took awhile, but worked flawlessly.

I have a 250Gig SATA as the OS drive, and (6) 2.oTb WD as storage, but part of the 250 is in the storage, I would gladly give up the extra part of the 250Gig, just leave it empty.

Kind of a hacked up suggestion: When you first do the OS install, before putting any data into the shares, you'll have about 20G used up on the system drive (250G). Could you then copy a 230G file to C:\FillErUp, thus filling the drive? Then when you add data to the shares, it would not have any room to put files on C: (at least not many). Of course you'd probably want to have a much smaller system drive. Just a thought.

There is a bit more to it than that. Technically you are correct, however the balance of the primary drive is used as part of the share and on a two drive system will be used for folder duplication. So on a two drive system you do not want a smaller drive. On a three drive, you are correct.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to replacing my system drive. Thanks diehard for the link, the replacement went great with my problems at all. Directions were pretty easy to follow and I used the free software "Easeus Todo Backup" to clone the drive. I did need to disconnect my other USB drives (DVD, USB keys and a compact flash card reader) for the clone to work.