RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L raid card or not?

dhallam

Hi I have been running my N54L for many months now with the modded bios for a few months now with no issues. Currently im running a 65gig ssd as the os drive with server 2012 r2 essentials. and 4x2TB drives software raid 5 that houses all my Iso's, Hd Films, Series and workstation backups.

Now I have tested software raid and seems to work fine for what I need, I can loose a drive, and I can restore the array onto any other fresh build of server 2008 or 2012 which is very handy.( I have tested and worked no issues)

Now I have the opportunity to get a Adaptec ASR-3405 128MB (no battery) for around £30 which by the looks of it can plug direct into the header of my 4 drive bays.

I know hardware raid gives better performance, but with software raid I loose the ability to extend the array onto larger disks without having to backup somewhere then  create a larger array. Also when I have a power cut the software raid rebuild time is about 3-4 days. The data on the array is not mission critical so most of the time its HD films being pulled to my 3 media centres, and during the day media server backups, and tv recordings copying to the server.

This is why do I also need battery backup for the Adaptec as really no data should be missed if a power cut did happen? 

Anyone have any advice or even hands on experience of the Adaptec ASR-3405?

I have seen some good reviews on the HP P410 but with the price of memory and battery on top becomes to expensive for me at the moment.

Many thanks for any information, or advice that can be given.

David

I'm going to differ from jmwills a little (which is unusual). I feel it depends on your backup situation. If you have plenty of backup then I think you can take a chance on not having battery backup on your RAID card. You do have to be prepared to rebuild the array if it all goes sideways and then copy all the data to the array again from a backup copy. If you're OK with that, then I think you're good to go.

Hi yes my current backup solution is my main pc (family photos music docs) is all backed up via crashpan. The server raid 5 is only HD series and films and my local lan pc backups. I do have a 4TB red drive that im am going to put into a spare pc I have in the shed, to do DFS replication to for the raid 5 array as extra. I would use crashplan to back up everything but only being on 24 meg internet I only get 900k upload so this is not going to happen, until I go fibre next year (20meg up).

I didn't know that battery on hardware raid was that important, I just assumed that the battery backup would only loose data currently cached in the card, which would only be an issue with live databases. didn't think it could potentially kill the raid

I could always get the battery, or just go for one that comes with a battery attached, as better to be safe than sorry.

But Still is it worth going hardware over software?

I meant a battery backup for the server, i,e, UPS.

Rocket Raid 2720 is a very good reliable card for the money.

Hi I have been running my N54L for many months now with the modded bios for a few months now with no issues. Currently im running a 65gig ssd as the os drive with server 2012 r2 essentials. and 4x2TB drives software raid 5 that houses all my Iso's, Hd Films, Series and workstation backups.

Now I have tested software raid and seems to work fine for what I need, I can loose a drive, and I can restore the array onto any other fresh build of server 2008 or 2012 which is very handy.( I have tested and worked no issues)

Now I have the opportunity to get a Adaptec ASR-3405 128MB (no battery) for around £30 which by the looks of it can plug direct into the header of my 4 drive bays.

I know hardware raid gives better performance, but with software raid I loose the ability to extend the array onto larger disks without having to backup somewhere then  create a larger array. Also when I have a power cut the software raid rebuild time is about 3-4 days. The data on the array is not mission critical so most of the time its HD films being pulled to my 3 media centres, and during the day media server backups, and tv recordings copying to the server.

This is why do I also need battery backup for the Adaptec as really no data should be missed if a power cut did happen? 

Anyone have any advice or even hands on experience of the Adaptec ASR-3405?

I have seen some good reviews on the HP P410 but with the price of memory and battery on top becomes to expensive for me at the moment.

Many thanks for any information, or advice that can be given.

David

Hi David & Welcome to the Forums!  When you get a chance introduce yourself http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/344-welcome-to-homeservershowcom-forums-introduce-yourself-here/   

Your statement “Now I have tested software raid and seems to work fine for what I need…….” Says it all to me – if it works well for you I’d stick with what works.

Now, for £30 it might be worth getting the RAID card, IMHO, and putting it into a spare machine (if you have one) just to learn about RAID cards and put it through its paces without the stress of trying or needing to figure it out immediately.  It sounded like you spent some time and effort testing out your Software RAID – I’d do the same with the Adaptec card.

Either way, you should consider getting a UPS for your server and have your server set to gracefully shut down if there is a power interruption.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi thanks for the advice, i had been thinking of getting one for a while so i didnt bother with the card and got a Smart-UPS SUA1000I. Never looking back now :-)

I have it powering the server, monitor, my gameing pc and adsl router. With the server and monitor and router it gives me 50 mins. with everything on 25 mins.

I went for the smart ups as had an orrer of a second hand one very cheap, and i can get a replacment battery set for £40 when they need replacing.

thanks for all the help guys, already saved me today as had a thunderstorm and lost power for 10 mins. The wife loved it as i boasted while playing watchdogs in my office LOL.