RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

B120i vs Storage Spaces

sebus05

This seems to be unrealated to Microserver, as it is not possible to "...RAID 5 with optional 512MB on select models..."

I sure am not paying more for the P222 then the cost of the server.

So the question is if there are any benefits of RAID10 using  4 x 2 Tb drives (currently in N36L as 2012 R2 Storage Spaces doing fine for what I need them) then just 4 separate AHCI drives again as Storage Spaces?

Thanks

sebus

If you use the B120i RAID the hard drives will not go into standby but the fan controller works perfectly keeping the case fan at low speed(and noise).

If using 4 x SATA drives with Storage Spaces the drives can power down but the built-in iLO4 fan control doesn't detect the hard drives temperatures so defaults to a higher fan speed that some find too noisy.

Performance wise I'd think not much in it.

Best solution for me was to use 4 individual SATA configured drive using Stablebit DriveSpace for pooling/data duplication.

If I had to do it again, knowing I paid for the P222, I might not have.

What I might have done instead was spend the money on four 4TB drives, and do RAID 1+0 with the B120i.  I'd still get 8TB, there would be no parity calculations (so no major speed hit requiring a RAID controller), I'd still have a RAID with rebuild, and the Gen8 would run cooler (the P222 RAID processor runs warm), dropping the fan speed.  Plus, I'd have a spare PCIe slot for something (who knows, or maybe I'd not have used it).

Yes, yes, I'm expecting a collective *gasp* from the people here who know I like hardware RAID.

Edited by LoneWolf

Okaaaaay, but that definition there's no such thing as hardware anything. There are differences between hardware RAID and pure software RAID, besides just a different chip.

1. HW RAID tends to be quite a bit faster than SW RAID
  2. HW RAID offloads CRC calculations from the main CPU
  3. HW RAID typically allows for RAID set expansion, something a lot of SW RAID doesn't do
  4. HW RAID is more portable. You can typically move a RAID card and its drives to a different computer and just PlugNPlay
  5. since the firmware on a RAID card isn't just in RAM, it's less subject to corruption or attack.

There are others, but you get the idea.

HW RAID isn't perfect mind you. There are things that some of the newer drive pooling programs offer that HW RAID cards don't. Technically, these programs aren't RAID, but they do adhere to the spirit of RAID in that they group separate hard disks into volumes to increase the apparent size of drive available. The often offer some form of redundancy as well, which is also in the spirit of RAID.

Talking to a person using hardware Raid in Enterprise servers for almost 20 years...

Ah. A youngster then (the very first 'computer' I worked on was the IBM 7080, in 1965) :D

I have never played with DDP. I didn't read the whole white paper, but it looks interesting, although I did note some restrictions to be aware of.

• 2 weeks later...

^^ But keep in mind that B120i functions are performed by the CPU and is entirely a BIOS function, so not really HW Raid as defined by a separate chip to free up the CPU.

Agreed. I consider the B120i similar to the RR2720 in that regard, except the B120i is much more integrated of course.