RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Zenon

Dell T20 the noise level

Zenon

Hello,

how loud is the dell t20 compared to HP N54l?

Perhaps one of you has a recording of its noise volume.

Thank you in advance.

BR.

Zenon

mdss

Out of the box, with just one SSD installed, it's almost quiet. Depending on the surface you place it, it could vibrate and become louder. Adding HDDs makes it louder (if you can hear the HDDs.)

Compared to the G7 MicroServer it's 10x better.

ikon

Wow, compared to a G7? They're already pretty quiet, at least compared to the G8.

Zenon

Out of the box, with just one SSD installed, it's almost quiet. Depending on the surface you place it, it could vibrate and become louder. Adding HDDs makes it louder (if you can hear the HDDs.)

Compared to the G7 MicroServer it's 10x better.

Sorry, but I do not want to believe in 10x better.. :)

It means it should be almost soundless to the human ear.

Could you please make the recording?

BigPike

Infact, it is alot (!!) quieter if you unplug the disk that come along.  I would say 10X! OIts very quiet. But if you go into BIOS and change fan settings it 10000000000000000x worse then n54l. But why o that? :-)

I have my n54l shut off these day, and only using t20. Lot better machine according to me.  

Zenon

Default HDD can be so loud?

mdss

Zenon, saying "10x better" is just a way to emphasize the difference between the acoustics of the G7 MS and the T20.

I don't have the hardware to measure sound differences. It was just something I experienced with two of these side by side (actually more than two T20s but just one HP G7). While the G7 is no jumbo taking off, it is loud. Who sais it is not is just used to have one on around.

Like I said, HDDs can make a difference. Any added vibration, or a vibrating standing surface can also make it louder.

I've seen better Dell machines (noise-wise, compared to the T20), but for its price it's really outstanding.

Zenon

Could you please make the recording?

Kaiser2000

If it's any use, I have mine sitting beside the TV and I can barely hear it even with the TV off & I have 3 drives, a PERC controller and a video card in there :)

ikon

I'm not sure a recording would be of any use. What would it be calibrated against? Sound is a very relative thing.