RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L - 2.5 to 3.5 Conversion Bracket Query

Emm

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I picked up an N54L for a good price and want to run SSDs in the server.

My question is will the power and SATA connectors from the drive line up with one in the server when mounted to the bracket and will the bracket fit inside the screw less drive bays. I am looking at getting a vantec 2.5" to 3.5" bracket (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817986011)

I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say and learning a lot from all of you. 

Regards,

Emm

Not to discourage you, but just want to point out that you won't get full speed from SSDs in an N54L, because it can only do SATA II (3Gbps).

Not to discourage you, but just want to point out that you won't get full speed from SSDs in an N54L, because it can only do SATA II (3Gbps).

Hi ikon. The SSD is a SATA II drive so that should not be a problem :-)

I have heard of those; didn't realize they're SATA II.

They are, I have two 311s, a 313, and a 320. I only use them for write-cache drives for ZFS. The 311 and 313 are SLC-based and the 320 is MLC-based. These SSDs do not store any user data in their DRAM cache. In the event of a sudden loss of power they only have to commit whatever data that is its SRAM to NAND. Also, the 320 has an array of six 470µF capacitors in parallel to minimize the amount of data loss in the event of a sudden power failure. Even with a good UPS you never know what could happen.