RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Lux Builds A Sub-$300 Home Server

IndyLux

So, I have closed on my house and now have the funds to build the home server I've been talking about on the show.

I AM going with the atom processor (D510). Here's a brief description of my choices (all from NewEgg.com).

CPU/Motherboard Combo

GIGABYTE GA-D510UD Intel Atom D510 BGA559 Intel NM10 Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU Combo

Price - $89.99

Pros - Low Power consumption, 4 SATA ports, a standard PCI slot for more SATA ports down the line, much more powerful than my current server CPU, 64bit.

Cons - Not super powered so won't be doing much transcoding. Would have liked more native SATA ports.

Case/PSU

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Price - $139.98

Pros - Freakin' huge case! Tons of space for all of my drives and then some. Beautiful case management. Giant fans for quiet/silent operation. Comes with killer free PSU

Cons - Freakin' huge case that'll take up a lot of space. More slots than I can ever use with this Atom board.

COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active ...

Price - FREE

Pros - Free, Highly efficient (can idle at low wattage), Modular, Flat cables for easy management, QUIET

Cons - Much more power than I will ever use in this box

Memory

Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2K2/2G

Price - $47.99

Pros - It's memory and 2 gigs is nice for WHS.

Cons - None I can think of.

Hard Drive - I already have a Samsung 2TB I'll use from my other machine.

OS - I'll be installing my OEM copy of WHS V1 to this server and no longer using it on the old one when I'm done.

Why? - My current system is getting VERY old and I'm losing trust in the motherboard.

So - Feel free to discuss this build. I'll post pictures and reviews as I work on it. I'm sure some of you will love it and some of you will tear me a new one for my poor choices! I say, BRING IT ON!

Nice choice on that D510 board with the 4 sata ports. Doesn't look like the case is ideal for the mobo, but it's definately a nice case. I like the large fan. You can always add a sata PCI card for more drives later since you have the space.

Nice choice on that D510 board with the 4 sata ports. Doesn't look like the case is ideal for the mobo, but it's definately a nice case. I like the large fan. You can always add a sata PCI card for more drives later since you have the space.

You know John, I thought about that, but I actually think the oversized case is the right fit for me on this build. Pleanty of room for the hard drives, lots of airflow, easy cable routing, and easy to use the case in the future for other upgrades.

Nice choice of hardware. Look forward to more feedback.

I can't wait to see pictures. The Mini-ITX is going to look so ridiculous inside the 932. I'm laughing just thinking about it.

This is right up my alley. That old Dell I was going to use ended up being a failed attempt. This kind of cost is perfect for me, especially since I would go with a smaller case, making it probably around 200 total (minus the drives of course).

Looking forward to the pics!