RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mrstop

What hardware for backup?

LoneWolf

Best option depends on your budget.  I'm using a single WD Red 4TB drive in a high-quality USB3.

A better option, IMO, would be a 2-bay Synology NAS (say, the DS216sj or DS216+, the DS216se isn't bad, but the CPU is weaker and the RAM is too), with two drives in a RAID-1 mirror.  You have more security.  This ups your cost, but improves the reliability of your backup.

If you can go one step further, use either a branch-office VPN tunnel, or FTP to offsite your backup files to another location. The Synology NASes can use rsync to back up over the BOVPN, or, you can use FileZilla Server on your host end to accept FTP transfers, and an FTP client that supports scripting to regularly send your backup files across.  This gives you a full belt-and-suspenders approach; onsite for quick and easy restoration, offsites in case of catastrophe at the site.

ServerRookie

Thanks for the comments! My most important need is for a local backup for my workhorse that I can conveniently airgap, i.e. plug in the USB cable for doing a manual backup and unplug it again (with the workhorse running).

This is in addition to my current backup solution. The impetus is the on-going ransomware epidemic that is getting worse and worse by the day. Ransomware (and other malware) propagates to attached backups and over the LAN. Hence my desire for an additional local backup that I can conveniently airgap.

Moreover, I like to have RAID 1 and encryption, simple backup software is sufficient (that's what I prefer too) but I don't think I need network/cloud storage.

Further (good and not too expensive) suggestions welcome :)

Edited by ServerRookie

itGeeks

Thanks for the comments! My most important need is for a local backup for my workhorse that I can conveniently airgap, i.e. plug in the USB cable for doing a manual backup and unplug it again (with the workhorse running).

This is in addition to my current backup solution. The impetus is the on-going ransomware epidemic that is getting worse and worse by the day. Ransomware (and other malware) propagates to attached backups and over the LAN. Hence my desire for an additional local backup that I can conveniently airgap.

Moreover, I like to have RAID 1 and encryption, simple backup software is sufficient (that's what I prefer too) but I don't think I need network/cloud storage.

Further (good and not too expensive) suggestions welcome :)

I agree with LoneWolf. Use a 2 bay Synology NAS in fact use two of them, One onsite and one offsite this way you can use the Synology build in backup tools to backup your local backup to the offsite NAS at your friends or family house, This is what I do and it works great. The best backups are the ones you don't have to think about, They just happen. A two bay Synology will cost you 150.00 each + drives, This is a small amount to pay if your serious about your files. Just think what the ransom would be if you got hit. I use Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE to backup all my computers to my Synology NAS then the NAS automatically backs up those backups to two offsite locations to my family houses, This gives me great peace of mind. The backups are done with version so chances are you will get your files back even if one backup is infected. As for the virus traveling over your network best policy is not to map 'network drives'

Synology 2 bay NAS http://www.amazon.com/Synology-Station-Diskless-Attached-DS216se/dp/B014SKVQR8/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1460114813&sr=1-9&keywords=synology+1-bay&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011

Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

The new 1.5 version of Veeam even helps helps isolate your PC and laptop backups from malware attacks

Edited by itGeeks

ServerRookie

Thanks for the comment ... and I thought I was being a bit paranoid :)

I would have thought that a DAS (direct attached via USB) would be a better fit for my needs than a NAS (network attached via Ethernet). It is really just that one computer for which I want extra backup (that I can conveniently airgap, i.e. physically unplug the USB cable from where I am sitting).

Since I like RAID 1 (and encryption) for the extra backup, I was looking at the WD My Book Duo and other 2-bay HDD enclosures (with a USB3 interface) that others here may want to recommend.

Or am I missing something altogether?

Edited by ServerRookie

itGeeks

Thanks for the comment ... and I thought I was being a bit paranoid :)

I would have thought that a DAS (direct attached via USB) would be a better fit for my needs than a NAS (network attached via Ethernet). It is really just that one computer for which I want extra backup (that I can conveniently airgap, i.e. physically unplug the USB cable from where I am sitting).

Since I like RAID 1 (and encryption) for the extra backup, I was looking at the WD My Book Duo and other 2-bay HDD enclosures (with a USB3 interface) that others here may want to recommend.

Or am I missing something altogether?

Nope your not being to paranoid at all in fact you may not be paranoid enough :) If all you want is a DAS with USB3 then I say you can't go wrong with WD for local backups with RAID built-in. My thinking is that the WD may cost you more then 150.00 2 bay Synology NAS and it would sit on your network and give you more options if you needed or wanting in the future like pushing those backups off-site to another Synology using the built-in tools. Either salutation is good depending on needs. For me its the NAS rout.

ServerRookie

OMG

If the enclosure of the WD My Book Duo dies, then you lose your data even if your 2 HDDs are in perfect working order. The reason is that the hardware encryption built into the enclosure is always ON and canNOT be turned OFF. That means of course that if you stick your 2 encrypted HDDs in another enclosure, you still can't read your data because the encryption key is different.

https://community.wd.com/t/wd-my-book-duo-data-forever-lost-if-drive-enclosure-dies/6496

OMG

Anyway, the search goes on for a 2-bay RAID enclosure with USB3/UASP (quite a bit faster than Gigabit Ethernet as I understand it) … how about these ones

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Enclosures/?filter_NUMHARDDRIVE=2&filter_RAID_YN=Yes&filter_IOINTERFACE=USB+3.0&filter_UASP_YN=Yes&filter_HARDDRIVECOM=SATA

Or this one

http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1398380591