RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mrstop

What hardware for backup?

Akiom

You might find this interesting as we are working on a personal cloud storage: http://www.keupy.com .

ikon

Will you be making the Keupy software available (i.e. as freeware or for sale) separately? Many people, for example, would probably like to run it in a VM.

Akiom

We haven.t decided this yet. You are not the only one asking about this so stay assured we are considering it to offer storage app for couple Linux distros and Windows.

jmwills

You should state up front this is a commercial business.

ikon

You should state up front this is a commercial business.

I get what you're saying, although I assumed from the way the first Keupy post was done that it is a commercial product.

Akiom

Sorry if this looked... hidden. It is a commercial product. Actually there is no other way. If software can be Free, I don't see how could we build hardware and offer it to people for free:).

To clear it up. Keupy is a personal cloud storage, a physical device that the user purchases. He installs the app on phone/PC or can access via browser. User only needs the email and password, exactly like any other cloud service. No IP of dyndns.

Till we get to preorders we'll announce full list of features and price.

Right now we are more interested discussing about it with people and make adjustments if necessary.

jmwills

That's fair. 

Akiom

We just published the list of features. It's a preliminary one meaning that we might Add some more by release. You can find the full list here:

http://blog.keupy.com/post/112688477724/features-get-unveiled

And related to a previous question. We can confirm that we will also release the Keupy storage software but most likely under a different name, probably in two flavors, Free and Subscription.

Akiom

Hi!

Came back with news about Keupy.

First of all, we have a new website for Keupy. It's the final one... almost as we do not have pricing yet. But the idea is to answer all questions about the product.

We are thrilled about it... hope it has same effect on you:). You can check it out here: http://www.keupy.com .

Also, I have an answer for:

Will you be making the Keupy software available (i.e. as freeware or for sale) separately? Many people, for example, would probably like to run it in a VM.

Yes, we are but not in the VM form. Instead we will release a new service (even before we start selling Keupys). Once you register you can install the Storage app on any of your computers. That will act as your personal cloud storage. After that you just install the Client app on any of you devices.

It will work based on subscriptions, but I cannot tell you yet anything about prices or if we offer some free plan.

Why we charge this? because even if the storage is on your computer and client apps on your devices, we still have to take care of the rest of infra that makes all this work, not to mentioon development costs etc.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask me. We really appreciate anything you have to say.

ServerRookie

I am late to the party, but as per thread title, I am looking for backup hardware for a Windows 8.1 Pro system, it is a system with BitLocker enabled throughout.

I have a satisfactory solution for File History (using Storage Spaces with 2 external bus powered USB HDDs in a mirror configuration, I like redundancy in the backup itself)

However, I am looking for separate backup hardware for manually doing System Image Backups using the built-in Windows utility. While the hardware for File History is always connected to the computer, I like to connect/disconnect the hardware for System Image Backups, i.e. only connecting it to the computer for the doing the manual backup and disconnecting it thereafter right away. (This hardware will thus be switched off most of the time as I do the manual System Image Backups only once a week or so, which is sufficient for my needs)

One option that I am considering is the WD My Book Duo 2 x 2GB in a RAID 1 configuration. Questions: Will it work with BitLocker? Or do I need to use it as a JBOD with Storage Spaces in a mirror configuration + BitLocker? Can I unplug the power cable to stop the spinning platters or do I have to unplug the USB cable also?

I am open to other options/suggestions, thanks for any advice :)