RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mrstop

What hardware for backup?

Jason

OK. Thanks. That's how mine is set. Just checking. I've just changed over to using my Thermaltake HDD dock eSATA mode. Have a bunch of 7200 RPM 1.5 TB HDDs on my workbench from a past box. OS backup includes bare metal, system state and hyper-V only. No "data" beyond that. Once I confirm it's working reliably 2X daily, will implement your robocopy methodology for my data.

ikon

Cool. Not sure if the scripts I posted are doing it, but I've amalgamated 2 separate scripts into 1. I used to have 1 script for part of the data RoboCopy process and a 2nd for another. Not anymore. Combining them ensures that one part of the process doesn't stomp on the other.

Jason

Awesome. If you don't mind sharing your most current combined script as a starting point, would appreciate it. Also, I noticed bare metal backup option automatically grabs Windows Deployment Services data (WDS). Hyper-V folder isn't included by default. But I rely heavily upon my 2 VMs that start on system start. Would you consider/include them in the OS backup?

ikon

I'm not running any VMs, but I very well might include them if I was.

mrstop

As an update, I ended up purchasing a Vantec Nextstar HX and a 3TB WD Red drive for my external drive backup.  I went with the Vantec due to generally more favorable reviews than other options.  Additionally, it supports USB 3.0 and hard drives up to 4 TB.  The construction is fairly robust and it has a small quiet fan that should hopefully minimize the risk of premature drive failure due to high heat.

Additionally, I have moved to a combination of GoodSync and Crashplan for managing my backup syncs.  I wasn't crazy about the robocopy option as I wanted something with more of an interface to see what is going on (I'm just a hobbiest).  I tried several options including FreeFileSync and AllwaySync.  I liked the interface on FreeFileSync as it was easy to see what was going on and adjust filters to sync only what I wanted.  However, scheduling on FreeFileSync is limited to Task Scheduler and hence not very flexible.  There is also some suspect software that comes bundled with FreeFileSync that you can't opt out of.  AllwaySync might have worked, but the interface is old and clunky.  Most importantly it was hard to decipher and adjust the syncing that was going on in a way that gave me comfort.  GoodSync is a bit more complex, but seems to solve the issues so far.

ikon

Task Scheduler is not very flexible??? Seriously? You might want to revisit TS. It's not as easy to set up a task with TS as it is with some other schedulers, granted, but it's certainly very flexible.

I'm not trying to convince you to use TS. If GoodSync works for you, that's great. I'm just saying TS is not as limited as you might think.

• Like 1

mrstop

Task Scheduler is not very flexible??? Seriously? You might want to revisit TS. It's not as easy to set up a task with TS and with some other schedulers, granted, but it's certainly very flexible.

I'm not trying to convince you to use TS. If GoodSync works for you, that's great. I'm just saying TS is not as limited as you might think.

I was maybe a unclear in my assessment of TS.  The flexibility I was looking for was to be able to sync after a slight delay upon recognizing a file change rather than just at a given interval.

Drashna Jaelre

Yeah, it's not *that* flexible. :)

ikon

To be fair, hardly any schedulers are that flexible.

Drashna Jaelre

To be fair, hardly any schedulers are that flexible.

Not without having a File System filter installed on the system at least..... and check out my posts about antivirus programs and their usage of file system filters:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7954-best-practice-for-multiple-vms/#entry87321

tl;dr: They can cause serious issues if they're not perfect.