RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mrstop

What hardware for backup?

Al_Borges

Looks a little complicated  but flow charting this is a great idea.

mine is a bit easier -  I  decide which data is "irreplaceable" and that I backup via crashplan both online and to my local server.    Also have some redundancy with MS onedrive.

my "replaceable" data  is synced across two machines, and is crash planned to my brother in another state.

I have about 50 gigs of irreplaceable data ( family photos, documents and such)

My movie and CD / LP rips I consider "replaceable"  about 500 gigs worth.

I have weekly system images of the 4 boxes I have at home for BMR

I don't do TV recording but others on this forum  do manage recordings

ikon

Mine's really simple: if it's data, it gets backed up :)

Jason

Am now exploring using my Thermaltake HDD dock for backing up just my OS as shown in earlier photos. If you're going to swap between multiple drives with the same dock, is it necessary to plug in multiple docks (each with its own drive) in order to do the initial windows server backup config?

Or can you connect one dock, insert a single HDD, add it to backup schedule. Then swap that drive with drive 2 and add it to an existing backup schedule?

The WSE12R2 dashboard seems to require all server backup drives to be connected at once.

ikon

Am now exploring using my Thermaltake HDD dock for backing up just my OS as shown in earlier photos. If you're going to swap between multiple drives with the same dock, is it necessary to plug in multiple docks (each with its own drive) in order to do the initial windows server backup config?

Or can you connect one dock, insert a single HDD, add it to backup schedule. Then swap that drive with drive 2 and add it to an existing backup schedule?

The WSE12R2 dashboard seems to require all server backup drives to be connected at once.

I had my dock connected via USB2, so I could just use the System Tray icon to Eject the drive. Nice and simple :)

Jason

So you don't need to have all server backup drives in the pool connected at same time during the initial server backup setup? How did you manage that?

ikon

Wish I could remember. I think all I did was set up 1 drive, do a backup, then Eject it and put a fresh drive in and set it up. I don't recall that it was a big deal, which explains why I don't have vivid memory of it (well, that's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it ;) ). I may have set it up using Windows Server Backup directly, rather than going through the DashBoard.

Jason

Thanks ikon. If I continue to get these erratic successful and unsuccessful server backup completion statuses this week, am going to switch to this route (drive dock for OS backup, data with robocopy scripts).

For whatever reason, I'm seeing VSS parameter failed msgs during the system state backup which is inconsistent and frustrating.

ikon

I certainly don't want to push my strategy on anyone, but I've found it works well for me (and it would be nice to have someone else who's doing the same thing).

Jason

Ikon would you mind checking one of your settings please? Under the windows server backup, under select items for backup / advanced settings / VSS Settings, is yours set to VSS Full Backup or VSS Copy Backup (default)?

ikon

Mine is set to VSS copy Backup, which must be the default, because I don't recall changing it (or even looking at it actually).