RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
mrstop

What hardware for backup?

ikon

I really like that Lian Li EX-503. But can't find them in stock anywhere?

Try here: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12624/cpa-546/Lian-Li_EX-503B_Hot_Swap_USB_30_eSata_External_35_HDD_Enclosure_5_Bays_-_35_SATA_HDD.html

And about testing backups, what jmwills said :)

1. an internal drive has some disadvantages:
    1. It can't easily be taken off site
    2. it relies on the same power supply as the main drives so, if that PSU goes wonky and destroys drives, the backup is likely to get destroyed as well.

So I think that makes sense.  While the external drive is physically connected to the computer via, it is in essence a "stand alone" system with it's own power supply and hardware, correct?

Exactly. The fewer things that are dependent on each other, the safer you are.

mrstop

I really like that Lian Li EX-503. But can't find them in stock anywhere? Currently I'm alternating between 2 HGST 4TB Touro Desk ext HDDs. My server backup contains my OS, some critical data and Hyper-V VMs. About 1 TB of data total.

I couldn't find the Lian either.  I did find a Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2  which may be a similar solution but maybe not up to the quality of the Lian and based on the reviews the software may be buggy:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817576009&ignorebbr=1

ikon

Did you check my previous post? A link to the Lian-Li is there.

Jason

Yes. $254 isn't all all that bad. I'd just need to find a bunch of like drives, correct? Or will it accept a bunch of random drives (JBOD)?

mrstop

Did you check my previous post? A link to the Lian-Li is there.

Didn't see your post while I was typing.  Thanks.

ikon

Yes. $254 isn't all all that bad. I'd just need to find a bunch of like drives, correct? Or will it accept a bunch of random drives (JBOD)?

It will accept a bunch of random drives. It has RAID5, RAID3, RAID1, RAID0, Clone, JBOD, and SingleDisk. There is a bit of a terminology issue. What Lian-Li calls JBOD is what I call SpannedDisk, but it's basically what I think you're asking about: a bunch of unlike drives that are spanned together to appear to the computer as a single volume. The SingleDisk option is what allows you to have all the drives appear to the computer as individuals.

The Clone mode is a bit of an odd one; every drive in the enclosure has the same content. I guess you could call it Mirror+.

The unit uses a jMicron controller, so the jMicron software will work with it if you want (it's not required to use the software).

It is extremely quiet, and keeps the drives really, really cool. Also, being Lian-Li, it's made of aluminum, so it's really light. I have 2 of them and an very happy with them.

Jason

Nice. Am going to wait until try appear back in stock on Amazon or Newegg. Usually better price, free shipping and no tax.

ikon

I think you'll be waiting a long time. I tried that and finally gave up; decided it was better to support a company that will keep them in stock.

Al_Borges

I see that you are using crashplan for your offsite backup -   one nice feature of crashplan ( paid version) is the ability to have multiple backup sets/ backup locations

so you could just send the same backup set you are posting on line to a  local networked drive.   

Recovering a full TB over  the internet sounds painful

mrstop

I see that you are using crashplan for your offsite backup -   one nice feature of crashplan ( paid version) is the ability to have multiple backup sets/ backup locations

so you could just send the same backup set you are posting on line to a  local networked drive.   

Recovering a full TB over  the internet sounds painful

I'm actually not near 1TB (yet), but recovery over the internet would be painful nonetheless, hence the onsite solution!

Funny that you bring up using Crashplan to backup to multiple locations.  I'm currently reviewing that portion of my process and wondering if Crashplan is the right answer or something like Acronis, Allway Sync, or FreeFileSync.  Below is a map up my proposed backup strategy.  Any thoughts?

gallery_8077_92_24319.jpg