RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I think I got in over my head. All I wanted was the ability of Access Anywhere

Mycophiles

You were exactly right.  I checked the DNS settings on the garage laptop (one that was cuasing an issue) and the Server IP was set as the DNS address.  

I should have checked this but I didn't think the server connection software would change the DNS settings.  

Out of curiosity.  What would be the benefit of having the Server act as the Domain Name Server?  .. For me.  I understand in a business environment the Admin could set DNS rules to block sites but for a home user would there be any benefit?

There was a large thunderstorm last night that woke me up so I turned the Server off.  I've had power supplies fry in this house. 

Edited by Mycophiles

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

• Poppapete

• Mycophiles

DNS is required by Active Directory/domain networks. But otherwise, a local DNS means you can reconfigure it (such as set the IP for rad.msn.com to 0.0.0.0, so no ads on your xbox), and because it cache's lookups.

Though, you mentioned having to keep on inputting your credentials.... If you open the Credentials Manager, you can manually add them, so you won't need to in the future.

As Drashna said, DNS is required for Active Directory to work. Access to shares on the server and other stuff can get messed up if you don't let the server be the DNS. It was designed to work that way; I wouldn't mess with it.

As far as storms and such, don't you have UPS' on your computers? I have every computer, and my TV, stereo, router, cable modem, etc. all on UPS units.

I'll second the UPS thing. Seriously. Even if it fails.... it's an added buffer between you and that lightning strike.

Also, installing the WINS role on the server, and configuring it on the router's DHCP server may help with the server showing up on client computers.

If you are not using AD then I find it easier to let the router be the DNS for clients (especially if server is down). The 2012 E server will try to reset this if you haven't set "SkipAutoDNSServerDetection" to True as per Paul Braren's excellent instructions.

If you are not using AD then I find it easier to let the router be the DNS for clients (especially if server is down). The 2012 E server will try to reset this if you haven't set "SkipAutoDNSServerDetection" to True as per Paul Braren's excellent instructions.

I feel completely opposite. However, I have the DHCP server set to use BOTH the server and itself as the DNS server. That way, AD works properly, the network won't go down if the server is off, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, the connector software will not alter DNS settings on clients (I've never, ever had that problem, the entire time I've been using Essentials because DHCP hands out both)

I was thinking along the same lines quite a while ago when this topic came up. At the time I recommended having the DC be the DNS, but this was always in the back of my mind. The question I had was, which to have Primary, and which Secondary. I was strongly leaning towards the DC as Primary, but how do you have it set up?

I feel completely opposite.

That's because your using AD. Your way is the best way in your situation. Just pointing out the choices if there is no Domain.

That's because your using AD. Your way is the best way in your situation. Just pointing out the choices if there is no Domain.

That is definitely ONE reason why, but it's definitely not the only.

Any time you see a "host file hack" where somebody wants you to edit a host file... you can use the DNS server instead. For example, redirecting my Anywhere Access domain to the local IP address instead of my external. or mapping "rad.msn.com" to a non-existant IP to block ads on my XBOX360.