RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

"Refresh" install of WS2012E

mehtaman

Hi All,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to refresh the OS back to its initial start-up, like the Refresh option in Win 8?

Why...

Well when I first installed WS2012 I couldn't get my head around the Metro theme so I installed a Server -> Workstation mod

http://www.win2008workstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2108

Now that I have used 2012 elsewhere and understand the metro theme, I would like to return my own server back to the correct layout.

Unfortunately the mod does not uninstall as easily as it installed :blink:

My only other option would be a clean reinstall but I am worried about messing up the storage spaces, backups etc.

Is the storage space array recognised post reinstall or will the data need to be recovered and the array recreated?

Any advice will be useful, Thanks.

If you took an initial server backup, use that to restore to, but a "refresh" is not available AFAIK in a server platform.

Looks like a clean install is in your future.  According to the podcast this week, I would remove those pooled drives during the new install of the OS and once that is stabilized, reinsert the drives and install the pool software.  Now with Storage Spaces......I'd off load that data to another drive (since you have no backups) and reinstall everything. 

Most here have not had good experiences with Storage Spaces but like tools like Drive Bender and other similar options.

Thanks for the info... i'll may just live with the mod - since i'll need to by another 2TB drive if i want to backup my stored files.

These kinds of issues are exactly why I make OS image backups after major changes. So, after initial install would be one backup, after fully updating would be a second, etc. Too bad your backup drive died. It's always good to have more than 1 copy of a backup.