RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing WHS2011 from SSD drive and what hotfixes do you recommend?

javaman

Hi, can I install WHS2011 from a new SSD drive?  My system won’t have an optical drive. So can I put the contents of WHS2011 install disk on my SSD drive and just boot up the system and try to install it that way?  I heard I could do it from a USB stick as well but would would have to make it boot up with a BIOS change.

Also I heard there are hotfixes for >3TB drives and Win 8.1 backups. What other ones should I apply? Is there a master list of these somewhere?

Thanks

Not unless you image the drive from something like Acrnois, in short, you just can't copy files from one drive to another and boot up.

Your best bet is a clean install using a thumb drive.

Of course I didn't think it would boot up into WHS 2011 (though I can be pretty dense sometimes ). I will try the USB method.

Edited by javaman

The reason it works from a USB drive is that part of the process to create the USB install drive is to create a boot image on the USB drive. You then tell that boot image to launch the WHS2011 installer program. To boot up from an SSD you would basically have to replicate the process, except the boot image that works on a USB stick likely won't work on an SSD.

I was referring to using a thumb drive to load the image and install to an SSD since he has no optical drive.