RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L Veeeery slow write speed with SSD.

BigPike

I have a N54L with 2+8 GB of RAM. Been running Hyper-V (core) server on the N54L since I got it and it have been working very good.

Today I installed ESXI 5.5 on a USB stick, worked fine.

The problem come when I was going to install Server 2012, or any other OS (as VM). Its SLOW! An with slow i mean really, really slow.

The Datastore I am installing on is a SSD (Samsung 120....). The installation of Server 2012 is on 6% after 20 min!!

(I also have a Poweredge T20, and the samsung SSD works great it that setup)

Im using "TheBays" BIOS.

Any idea?

Edited by BigPike

Just tested HP ESXI custom ISO, no difference.

Loaded optimal settings in the BIOS. No difference.

Edited by BigPike

Check the SATA cable on the N54L and see if another one makes any difference.

Check the SATA cable on the N54L and see if another one makes any difference.

Thanks for the idea. I will test that. But because other OS works fine, I dont think it can be it.

Edit: Tested another cable, no difference. Tested to use a esata to sata cable. No difference.

Will know test the disk that come along with the n54l.

Edited by BigPike

It lays where the CD-Rom should be I think its called the ODD bay? But that should be fine because I am using the modified firmware?

I read this topic: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6481-n54l-esxi-ssd-hmmmmm/page-2 and tested the SSD in one if the "non-hot-swappable" bays, and there it works just fine.

Is there any BIOS setting I have missed out on?

Seems like I remember that top slot being at half the speed of the other 4 and it is changed in the BIOS, meaning it has to be done manually.  Just flashing the BIOS will not do it.

Yes, the ODD runs at SATA I speeds (1.5Gbit) with the default BIOS, IIRC. With the modded BIOS you can get it up to SATA II (3Gbit). However, this doesn't really explain why it only appears to be slow when installing an OS into a VM. Perhaps this is just a perception thing.

I am running the modded bios. The  ODD is set to 3 gbit/s. Still SLOW! Took over one H to install Server 2012r2. When I mounted the SSD in Bay 1 n took like 10 min, or less.

And yes, same installation media.

Edited by BigPike