RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cskenney

Digital Camera

cskenney

Any suggestions for a really nice (but not outrageously expensive) 35mm digital camera?  I have grown tired of the poor image quality of my iPhone and want a camera I can use for pictures of my daughter playing softball, etc.

Just looking for your opinions of camera's to take a look at.

I would like a 35mm so I can have a couple different lenses as needed for different occasions.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

schoondoggy

I would recommend going to a good camera shop, Where i live it is National Camera Exchange, Down your way i have heard these guys are good: 

http://www.cameracompany.com/

First off, you need to hold cameras to see how they feel. 

Be open minded, the last point and shoot I bought was Panasonic, It is a great camera, but when I went into the store, it is not the brand I would have expected to walk out with.

A good camera store can help keep you from making mistakes. Most of these stores have free classes to help you learn how to use the camera.

Amazon may have the best price, but not the best deal.

Dave

It's the Nikon/Canon war.  I broached this very topic three years ago this month.  I went with the basic Nikon 3100 and am still happy with the purchase.  It's the bottom of the food chain in DSLR's but it takes fantastic photos. My wife gave away our little point and shoot camera soon after getting the 3100.  Only one regret, is it does not bracket.  I wish I had invested more.  Also got a long lens and a "nifty fifty." Mike Howard talked me into those pieces of "glass."  Again, no regrets on the purchases whatsoever.

Joe_Miner

Based on Dave's experience/recommendation and Mike Howard's recommendation I went with the Nikon D3200 two years ago and absolutely love it for taking pictures of my grandson and shooting excellent HD videos.  Most importantly, my wife loves the D3200.  The DSLR can't be beat for catching those priceless moments.  We never use the point & shoot anymore.  

I would suggest getting an extra battery and with a tripod and Nikon remote I've taken some neat family photo's.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Andne

One the Canon side look at the T3i or T5i, difference is primarily in the video capabilities and the kit lens on the T5i is a newer model.  Both are 18MP DSLR cameras, T5i has some updated features, but I believe that it's mostly been improvements to autofocus and such while in video mode.  Some of that takes advantage of the new lens, it's an STM lens, and uses a stepper motor instead of whatever the older lens used.  There is also the SL1, but that tends to get complaints about being too small in people's hands.  If you want something a little nicer, the new 70D is a bit better than the rebel T*i series, but can also be a bit harder to use.

I do agree with schoondoggy though, it's good to go to a camera shop, if nothing else than for the knowledge those guys tend to have.  There isn't much of a price difference between there and big box places typically, most of the rebates on larger cameras come from the manufacturer itself than from the store from what I've noticed.

I don't know enough about Nikon to know where what Dave and Joe have matches up to what I mentioned.  If you're trying to get fast stuff (sports), you'll want to learn how to control some of the settings directly, full auto is usually pretty good, but there are times when it can't quite make sense of things, and the less it has to guess, the better what it still is doing works.

ikon

If you go with any of the major brands you are pretty safe these days. Canon, Nikon, and even Sony, Olympus, and Samsung.

Be aware, what often becomes one of the major 'lock-ins' for many people is the lenses. Unless you get one of the newer FourThirds cameras than can use DSLR lenses from almost any manufacturer, you will pretty much get locked into whichever brand you buy, simply because only their lenses (or some 3rd party lenses such as those from Sigma) will fit. Since the lenses usually end up costing more than the camera, people become reluctant to change brands.

If you don't expect to buy extra lenses, it's not a big deal, but then what's the point of getting a DSLR? Both Canon and Nikon make 16 megapixel point and shoot cameras now if there is no need or desire for extra lenses.

cskenney

Being able to change lenses is important.

Thanks for the advice.  I will probably check out the camera store Schoondoggy suggested since it is actually pretty close to my house.

schoondoggy

Being able to change lenses is important.

Thanks for the advice.  I will probably check out the camera store Schoondoggy suggested since it is actually pretty close to my house.

Did you get one?

cskenney

After a little bit of research on the internet I went to the Camera Company store located near my house.  They were very helpful and I spent over an hour comparing cameras and trying them out.

I decided to go with the D3200 Nikon.  I also picked up the 55mm-200mm zoom lens at the same time along with a few other items.

I looked at the newer D3300 and couldn't justify the price difference.  Same can be said for moving up to the D5300 or D7000/D7100 models.  There may be a point where I want to move up to one of the better cameras but the D3200 will work just fine for what I need right now.

Thanks for the advice.

ikon

The real beauty is that the bodies tend to be one of the cheaper parts of the system, overall. So, keeping the lenses, and changing the bodies, isn't such a painful experience.