RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need a way to share some photos with family

Gentlemen, over the weekend my wife & I attended a small get-together with family from out of town. Naturally, a number of photos were taken. I would now like to make those photos available for downloading.

The caveats:

1. no email. There are too many photos and too many recipients to use email.
  2. no OneDrive. I looked at it but there is no way to restrict access to shared folders; anyone can see a folder once it's shared. I'm also concerned about even having the photos on a 3rd party site.
  3. I'm very reluctant to use other file sharing services due to security concerns.
  4. I would be willing to use my own WHS2011 server, but I don't know what the best method might be.
  5. ideally, not FTP; it's too hard for many non-tech people. Web-based file sharing would be good, if it has security.
  6. the people need to be able to download the photos, ideally in batches if they desire; not just 1 at a time.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an app that can run on WHS2011 that could do this? Alternately, does anyone have any other ideas?

schoondoggy

The public side of OneDrive is wide open, but I thought the Family folder was by invite only.

The file transfer function in TeamViewer works very well. You could push the files to their computers.

OneDrive will let you share with only those that receive an email from you with the link included.

I usually just use Facebook for this type of thing, but if privacy is utmost perhaps not.

jmwills

Create a new shared folder on the WHS, give out one user name for all to see and give it Read Only access to the one newly created folder.  They will only see the one folder when they logon.

The public side of OneDrive is wide open, but I thought the Family folder was by invite only.

The file transfer function in TeamViewer works very well. You could push the files to their computers.

OneDrive will let you share with only those that receive an email from you with the link included.

I usually just use Facebook for this type of thing, but if privacy is utmost perhaps not.

Thanks guys.

The issue with OneDrive is that anyone who discovers the URL to the photos then has access to them. There is no login required (unless you require them to have a OneDrive account, but that's not much security). Most important, there's no way to require a password to gain access. I was disappointed with this because I am nearly certian that SkyDrive did have the ability to password protect folders.

The problem with TeamViewer (as good as it is) is that some of these people aren't technical enough to even install it. Their IT skills are limited to browsing and email. If I have a way they can do it via browsing they should be able to handle it.

Create a new shared folder on the WHS, give out one user name for all to see and give it Read Only access to the one newly created folder.  They will only see the one folder when they logon.

I tried this. You know, https://servername.homeserver.com. I got logged in OK, but I was presented with all kinds of stuff, and was able to see stuff I didn't think I would be able to. Computers on my LAN were shown. Also, when I drilled down on the one shared folder I was able to see almost the entire folder structure of the drive.

I'm going to do a little more investigating on this.

Does anyone have any experience of knowlege about Easy File Sharing Web Server?  http://www.sharing-file.com/index.htm. Specifically, is it secure and trustworthy?

OK, I'm going with the WHS2011 approach. By fine-tuning the RWA settings I was able to make it so the only thing shown are the 2 shared folders. Thanks a bunch guys.

jmwills

I was just about to post that you can control what they see.  Cool beans.  Hey, if my daughter-in-law can figure it out to download iso images, anyone can.

cskenney

I realize you have figured out a solution but I wanted to throw out there did you consider Shutterfly?  You create a website and each person that wants to access it has to request access using their own login.  I have not done this from the admin side but I have accessed pictures from a dance that I attended with my daughter.  You can then browse the pictures and order them if you want right from Shutterfly.

dataoscar

Throwing out another option for anyone else who finds the thread. Tumblr allows you to create private password protected blogs. I used this approach for sharing family pics previously.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. So far, the people seem quite satisfied with the WHS2011 solution. Heck, even one of my wife's 80-ish aunts out in Arizona (or thereabouts) logged in OK. Doesn't get much better than that.