RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rcurry71

Build One Now, Buy One Now, or Wait until Vail?

Build One Now, Buy One Now, or Wait until Vail?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should I Build now, Buy now, or wait until Vail?

• Build a Home Server
    • Buy a Home Server (Such as an HP)
    • Wait until Vail

rcurry71

Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum and new to home servers. I have been wanting to create a systematic and recurring back up the PCs on my home network both locally and off-site (not as frequent) for a long time. Although I am still learning all that a WHS does, I am thinking that a WHS will be the local solution for back ups (Data, audio, home movies). I have learned that there is a new OS, Vail, coming out soon. How soon? I know I will not be able to easily upgrade to it (32 vs. 64). I am not sure what to do... hence my poll question. Summers are NOT as hectic for me, so now would be a great time to set one up. Yet, I do not want to build/buy something that will not be supported well (because 64 bit Vail will 'take over').

I have lots of questions about how a WHS works. For example: when there are 4 drives in a system, is the data that is backed up, backed up to all four drives so retrieval is fast and if one dies you can recover by replacing the bad disk? Or does one drive fill up before data is stored on the second? Did I make sense? :)

Thanks in advance for your answers/advice.

cskenney

rcurry71 - Welcome to the HomeServerShow.com forums. You have a lot of questions in your one post so I hope I don't miss anything.

Concerning WHS version 1 verses waiting for WHS Vail. Why put off until tomorrow what you can do today? There is nothing wrong with WHS V1. If you keep you eyes open for deals you might be able to pick up a Acer Easystore or HP MediaSmart Server on sale. This would get you started with WHS V1. Then, when Vail finally gets released (no date announced yet) you could always build a box. So far there is no clear upgrade path from WHS V1 to Vail but that doesn't mean someone won't figure one out. In the mean time, how valuable is your data to you? Having a WHS in your home just adds a layer of protection to the data on your client PCs and you don't have to think about it.

For the how does WHS work questions, ask away on the forums. That is what they are here for.

4 drive systems - If a system has 4 drives and you have added them all to the WHS pool, then WHS can store data on any of the drives. It does not fill one up and then the next. If you have duplication turned on, then any duplicated shares are stored on 2 of the drives in the pool. That way if 1 drive goes bad the data is safe on the duplicated drive. If you don't use duplication, then there is always the chance of losing data on a bad drive. You can also backup your server to an externally attached drive or there are various solutions that allow you to send data to a cloud storage service. Show 86 had info on various add-ins or programs to use for storing to the cloud.

awraynor

The easy answer is always "how important is your data to you"? I would recommend building a box now which meets the specs for Vail. When Vail is stable, which of course may be some time from now, you can backup your shares and your backups(?), then move them to your Vail box. I started with a home build and now own an HP EX495. In my opinion, I was happier with the home build. As far as this forum goes, you have ended up at the right place. The guys are great, quite tolerant of us non-experts and a treasure trove of information. The best part is the podcast, I listen to it every week. I have been using WHS since the beta and the best thing you can do is build a v1 box, use it, and ask questions as they develop.

P.S. For the experts. Does Vail allow the import of backups from BDBB?

Edited by awraynor

mrossco

Don't wait. Vail is still a ways out and there's plenty you can do with the existing version. Many are even questioning whether upgrading right away is worth it.

dvn

I agree with those who say that the current WHS, a.k.a. v1, does the job. It certainly does. Sure, Vail will have some new features, but I have no plans to dump my EX495 any time soon. If you want a server right now, I would not hesitate to recommend v1. In fact, I'm in the process of buying parts for a v1 system I'm building for my daughter. So I'm pretty confident and satisfied with the current version.

Regarding your questions: V1 stores each file in its entirety on a single drive, no matter how many drives you may have. This lets you slave a WHS drive to another computer and pull the files. Vail, on the other hand, stripes files larger than 1 GB across multiple drives. Think movies and installation images and you'll see the potential for a problem. There's been some uproar over this in the Connect forums, so we'll have to wait to see if this changes before the release version.

If you plan to start using v1 now, but are thinking you will move to Vail when it comes out, I'd recommend building rather that buying an OEM.

Guest no-control

I also agree go with v1 vail is a ways out and there is no promise that it will be superior to v1.

As for the OEM vs DIY its a toss up really it depends on your experiance, features, warranty, cost, etc...

jam3ohio

I also agree go with v1 vail is a ways out and there is no promise that it will be superior to v1.

As for the OEM vs DIY its a toss up really it depends on your experiance, features, warranty, cost, etc...

I'd go ahead and jump into v1 now. Look into the HP or Acer boxes to get your feet wet, and if you decide that Vail is a must-have when it comes out, you can always build or buy something.

You'll find that the data protection and remote access available right now is worth the relatively low cost of a v1 box. And if you have Macs in the mix, look to the HP boxes (495 would be my choice) as those are the only WHS boxes that back up Macs.

Todd

I agree v1 does the job rather well. I heard Paul Thurrott's podcast the other day where he commented that the HP is basically an appliance and don't expect them to come out with a Vail upgrade for their boxes. Something to consider.

I have two now HP's and think I will stick with v1 unless something really great comes out of Vail. That will probably happen over time, as Microsoft stops supporting v1. An early indicator is Live Sync or the Live Essentials beta won't install on WHS v1. If I do upgrade, I think I'll build my own with enough expansion to use just one server.

bsieve

can you still get beta trials of version 1 to try out? If you can you can get that to see if it meets your needs or if the planned changes for v2 would be better in the end.