RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

In WHS 2011 would you mirror your OS SSD drive if so how?

I will be using new SSD's so I'm not sure if they will have partitions. Anyway I am  leaning towards using the MB Raid to mirror the drives. My only concern would be if the MB died would I lose everything on those SSD's unless I got a replacement MB?

Joe_Miner

Yes, until you got a duplicate MB.

I don't mirror my WHS2011 OS drive but that's just me.  It is backed up with Server Backup but my feeling is if I lose the OS drive I'll just re-install it -- I've re-installed the OS drive several times beginning with when I moved my OS from a 60GB SSD to a 256GB SSD and with DrivePool it was relatively painless.  I've also done re-install's just to clean the *stuff* off of it.  But, that means if I lose my OS drive my server is down until I rebuild with a new OS drive -- either with restoration from Server Backup or a clean install of WHS2011 plus my Stablebit and a few other apps.  If you want or need to minimize your down-time should an OS drive goes bad you should mirror the OS drive.

I will be using new SSD's so I'm not sure if they will have partitions. Anyway I am  leaning towards using the MB Raid to mirror the drives. My only concern would be if the MB died would I lose everything on those SSD's unless I got a replacement MB?

Very likely you would lose everything on those drives, BUT, you absolutely should have a backup of just the OS drive anyway. So, you get a new mobo, install the SSDs, and restore from the backup you made. Then you let the OS figure out the new hardware and go from there.

jmwills

Before I'd worry about finding the exact MB to duplicate, I would find one that suited my needs and reinstall the OS.  The OS I could care less about, it's the data that is important.

I can be back up and running fully patched in 2 hours from a clean install.

Ok, sounds good, re-installing the OS would probably be easy enough if need be, so I won't bother with the mirroring. I will still back it up for insurance.

In many ways I agree with JW. I mirror my OS drives because I can do it easily with the mobo RAID and then install the OS as if it was 1 drive. And, I still back it up.

If I had to do a bunch of tweaking in the OS to get mirroring I probably wouldn't even bother.